I am a grandmother paddling alone over 2,500 miles from Maine to Guatemala. Along the way I will be:
- telling the story of the children who live in the Guatemala City garbage dump community
- honoring their entrepreneurial mothers
- talking about the success of the Safe Passage model school and
- raising funds for additional grades for the school.

Wednesday, March 26, 2014

The Story of the Two Deb Walters

Deb Walters and Deb Walters at Canoecopia
I met my alter ego at Canoecopia in Madison, Wisconsin a few weeks ago.  Like me she's in her early 60's.  Like me she likes to kayak.  Like me, she's recently started a kayaking blog.  Like me she raises money for projects to help others.  And now she has amazed me once again!
Tonight I received an email from the other Deb Walters, which has made my day.  Here's what she said:
You are an inspiration to me.  I am 61 and a grandmother and Deb Walters and I love to kayak!  I am planning on getting as many paddlers as I can one Saturday in July to coincide with the month that you are beginning your voyage.  I am planning on organizing a day long paddle on the Wabash River.  I want to get donations for your amazing cause.  I live in Terre Haute, Indiana, which is located on the Wabash River, and is also the home of Indiana State University, Rose Hulman Institute of Technology as well as St. Mary of the Woods College.  I plan to get the word out to as many people as I can, including the paddling club in Indianapolis and the rowing team at ISU that is just forming.  Who knows how many will turn out?  All they have to do is to make a donation on your site."

What a wonderful plan!  I'll share this with the paddler's I know in Bloomington, Indiana.  We'll have to set up a skype connection so I can thank them in person.

Check out the other Deb Walters facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/deborah.walters.5

There are so many amazingly generous and creative people out there.  I am honored to have met Deb Walters, one more shining example.

1 comment: