Bad news. My shoulder was hurting near the end of my paddle last Wednesday. I was so glad I was taking five days off to go to Chapel Hill to visit schools, churches, a retirement center, a radio station and supporters house parties. Sharing the stories of Safe Passage instead of kayaking was a welcome rest that I had hoped would cure my shoulder.
But after the five days, the pain is still enough to make it hard to sleep. So I've decided I need to rest a little longer.
Tuesday's route to McClellanville, SC would have been the longest day of the entire expedition and without any possibility of bailing out if needed. I would be going with a strong current for the first few hours. Turning around to go back would be virtually impossible, even if I was feeling fit. Carrying on would mean paddling through miles of unpopulated marshes, with no marinas or road access. Not a good plan for an injured kayaker.
So I will get a ride for me and my kayak from Georgetown to McClellanville, rest another two days, and then paddle a very short day to Buck Hall. If that goes well, I will carry on. If not, then I'll have to think about other options. What about "designated paddlers"? Anyone want to paddle a day or so for me?