I am a grandmother paddling alone over 2,500 miles from Maine to Guatemala. Along the way I will be:
- telling the story of the children who live in the Guatemala City garbage dump community
- honoring their entrepreneurial mothers
- talking about the success of the Safe Passage model school and
- raising funds for additional grades for the school.

Friday, November 27, 2015

Global Women of Action at the United Nations

Deb and the other five "Global Women of Action" at the UN
I was so humbled to be honored at the United Nations as a "Global Woman of Action".
When I heard I had been selected from the 40,000 plus Rotarian women around the world, as an example of a successful professional who is also working to help others in a developing country, I had the typical female reaction.  "Yes I work hard and do a lot of good, but I don't deserve this."  That feeling was shared by the other women selected, and getting to know them during our time together in New York City was a special treat.
The six Global Women of Action
We six are but the tip of the iceberg of Rotary women doing great work around the world.  As such we are proud to be representing the rest of the women.


Deb answering questions after her talk at the UN
We each gave a 2 minute presentation about our projects.  Here's the video of Deb's shorter presentation at the UN  There is also a longer 10 minute presentation that can be seen here during the Water and Sanitation breakout session: video

Rotary International gave us each big lovely glass "monuments" to display to remember this award.  But what I like to display is the humbler and more meaningful gifts from the people I have served, like this hand embroidered cloth from a village where I helped with water and sanitation, and the small scribbled notes from the children at Safe Passage.  Those are the thanks I will never forget.

A special thank you from a family in Chipastor





No comments:

Post a Comment