I am a grandmother paddling alone over 2,500 miles from Maine to Guatemala. Along the way I will be:
- telling the story of the children who live in the Guatemala City garbage dump community
- honoring their entrepreneurial mothers
- talking about the success of the Safe Passage model school and
- raising funds for additional grades for the school.

Thursday, December 4, 2014

63 year old Paddling the East Coast is Missing



Today I am sobered by the news story Jim brought back from Elizabeth City.  A 63 year old canoeist is missing.   He was paddling the East Coast along an inland route starting in Lake Champlain.   His gear and overturned canoe were found by duck hunters on Saturday, and the coast guard and others are still searching for him.  I wonder if he was out in those very high winds last week?  My thoughts are with him and his family.  And to my family and friends, know that I will paddle as safely as possible, not take undue risks, and continue to skip sections during high winds and waves.  I am so thankful for the wonderful support network of strangers I have met along the coast who are making it possible for me to remain safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment