I am a grandmother paddling alone over 2,500 miles from Maine to Guatemala. Along the way I will be:
- telling the story of the children who live in the Guatemala City garbage dump community
- honoring their entrepreneurial mothers
- talking about the success of the Safe Passage model school and
- raising funds for additional grades for the school.

Sunday, December 20, 2015

Paddle Day 27: Now it's a fully supported expedition!

Flowery silk scarf so folks stop thinking I'm a guy, and for sun protection
Last day of the USA part of the expedition where I have to paddle with my gear!  Get to see my husband!  Went the wrong way for the first time!
Said good-bye to Charlie as I paddled away from the dock in the morning.  Headed back up towards Maine!  First time I found myself going in the wrong direction.  
Wrong Way Deb
Fortunately I stopped almost immediately to put on my sun screen, and realized my embarrassing mistake.

The day before I had volunteered with Molly at her church's thrift shop.  While there I purchased a flowery silk scarf.  It would have multiple purposes.  First, I am becoming a "redneck".  I don't think my culture is changing much, but the sun on my neck is taking it's toll.  I thought of buying a standard red bandanna, but then thought of a second reason for the much more feminine scarf.  So many people assume I am a guy as I paddle along.  Can't imagine why when every piece of clothing and gear I am wearing are men's items.  I think the silk scarf makes a nice statement!

It was great to arrive in Oak Hill to see Chris after two months apart!

Gratitude List:
  1. Sunshine and warmth
  2. Following current
  3. Chris drove down from Maine to meet me!
  4. Eating dinner inside our camper watching the birds on the water
  5. Sleeping in my own bed (in our camper)
Date: December 15, 2015                                             Restart Paddle Day: 27
Start location: New Smyrna Beach, FL                           Launch time: 11:10 am
End location: Oakhill                                                    Land time: 1:30 pm
Average speed: 3.8 mph                                               Max Speed: 5.6 mph
Miles: 12
Total expedition miles with kayak: 2028                       Motor-portage miles: 397
Kayak Storage:  Goodrich's Restaurant
Host: Chris Percival

No comments:

Post a Comment