I am a grandmother paddling alone over 2,500 miles from Maine to Guatemala. Along the way I will be:
- telling the story of the children who live in the Guatemala City garbage dump community
- honoring their entrepreneurial mothers
- talking about the success of the Safe Passage model school and
- raising funds for additional grades for the school.

Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Peddle Day 37: Why do I keep going?

Paddler forced to become peddler
Biking again today instead of kayaking.  Makes the route a lot longer, but much faster.  Time left over to visit the aquarium to see the underwater life in the lagoon.  Time to ponder why I keep going despite so many obstacles that would be reason enough to stop.
I'm seeing a different view of the world by covering distance on a bike instead of in the kayak.   I learned yesterday that it's too dangerous to bike on fast roads with no bike lanes, and too slow to bike on sidewalks.  So today's route was much longer, but had good bike lanes for the most part.

Fort Pierce is a blue color town they say, but the barrier islands are where the money is.  And that's also where the best amenities are: bike paths, side walks, water access, etc.
Indian River Lagoon on the left, Atlantic Ocean on the right
Because there is no bridge over Fort Pierce Inlet, I had to bike over one bridge into Fort Pierce, and go through an industrial area.
Fort Piere industrial area
Then back over another bridge to reach my destination: the boat ramp I will launch from tomorrow.
Beach side of the bridge.
That last bridge is a draw bridge, which was up.  I passed Chris on his way to pick me up.
Passing Chris and kayak on the draw bridge.
After lunch we visited the Smithsonian museum about the lagoon ecology.  It was fascinating to see all the life I had been kayaking over.  Wish I had a glass bottom boat to see it all.
Life in the lagoon.
Time to contemplate why I keep going despite obstacles: spinal surgery, rough weather, damaged kayak, injured wrist, exhausted body.  It's really very simple.  I have in before me the images of the children and parents at Safe Passage.  Their obstacles are much greater than any I face: the discrimination they face for living in the garbage dump community, the lack of education of the parents before Safe Passage gave them the option of adult literacy, the daily violence of their communities, the poor housing, the unhealthy working conditions, and so many more problems associated with being locked in the cycle of multigenerational poverty.  But thanks to Safe Passage, they are breaking out of that cycle.  They are doing it with persistence and determination and hard work.  So the least I can do as I travel down the coast sharing their stories is to demonstrate, in just a small way, a little of that persistence.

Gratitude list:
  1. Having options to keep going
  2. So many osprey
  3. So many different kinds of sea urchins
  4. Wind at my back
  5. Learning that zinc oxide sun screen on my forehead doesn't drip into my eyes when I'm working hard and sweat is pouring off my face

Date: December 29, 2015                                             Restart Paddle Day: 37
Start location: Jensen Beach, FL                                   Launch time: 8:50 am
End location:  Fort Pierce                                             Land time: 11:00 am
Average speed: 12.0 mph                                             Max Speed: 18.5 mph
Miles: 24
Total expedition miles with kayak and bike: 2174          Motor-portage miles: 404
Kayak Storage:  Fort Pierce KOA
Host: Chris Percival

1 comment:

  1. So proud of you, Deb. Love the picture of you passing Chris! Keep up the great work and Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete