I am a grandmother paddling alone over 2,500 miles from Maine to Guatemala. Along the way I will be:
- telling the story of the children who live in the Guatemala City garbage dump community
- honoring their entrepreneurial mothers
- talking about the success of the Safe Passage model school and
- raising funds for additional grades for the school.

Friday, January 24, 2014

Chesapeake 18 being redesigned in the CLC shop

Joey Schott is busy turning Deb's Chesapeake 18 into the ideal expedition kayak.  Here's where you can watch the death and rebirth.

Last look at the old version of the Chesapeake 18 built by Deb
It was tough to say good bye to the kayak I had been building for over 16 years.   It was especially difficult as it was finally at the point where I could paddle it and explore the personality of it's hull.   Time for one last look, and a little mourning.  Then comes the excitement of watching the photos Joey Schott (one of the CLC wizards) is sending me which chronicle his work.

Joey Schott brings out the big gun!
First he took off my jerry rigged cockpit coaming.  Then he brought out the big gun!

The topless hull
Minutes later, the kayak has no deck.  Gone are the marks where the porcupine was munching on the boat.  Gone is the deck I spent so many hours sanding and sealing.  But now Joey can easily get in side to remove the extra epoxy, lay extra fiberglass for added strength for an expedition boat, take out one bulkhead and add two more.  Did I say "easily"?  Perhaps "more easily" would be more appropriate.

Joey says he'll be doing more this weekend.  I can't wait to see more photos of the rebirth!

No comments:

Post a Comment