I am a grandmother paddling alone over 2,500 miles from Maine to Guatemala. Along the way I will be:
- telling the story of the children who live in the Guatemala City garbage dump community
- honoring their entrepreneurial mothers
- talking about the success of the Safe Passage model school and
- raising funds for additional grades for the school.

Friday, January 31, 2014

Rotary Club of Unity, Maine is Sponsoring the Expedition

I am so pleased that the Rotary Club of Unity, Maine, my Rotary Club, is sponsoring the Kayak Safe Passage Expedition.


Club members are helping me to contact Rotary Clubs all along my route from Maine to Guatemala.  We are arranging for me to stop during the expedition and to give talks at weekly Rotary Club meetings.  I'll share the stories of the children, mothers and new model School at Safe Passage.  I'll see if they want to join other Rotary Clubs in working on a Global Grant application to The Rotary Foundation, to support education in the Guatemala City garbage dump community, working with Safe Passage as our cooperating organization.

For those of you who don't know about Rotary, let me just say we are a diverse group of people who apply our leadership and expertise to solve social issues, in our communities and around the world.  Come join us!
Deb receiving a weaving as a thank you from Maria in Chipastor, Guatemala after the completion of a water and sanitation Global Grant from The Rotary Foundation
The formal opening on one of the new latrines built together by villagers and Rotarians.  (It was the villagers who taught us how to lay blocks after shaping them with our machetes!)

Thank you, Rotary Club of Unity, Maine, for working around the world, and now for sponsoring this expedition.

No comments:

Post a Comment