I am a grandmother paddling alone over 2,500 miles from Maine to Guatemala. Along the way I will be:
- telling the story of the children who live in the Guatemala City garbage dump community
- honoring their entrepreneurial mothers
- talking about the success of the Safe Passage model school and
- raising funds for additional grades for the school.

Thursday, January 9, 2014

Grandmother Paddles over 2,500 miles to Garbage Dump?


Deb kayaking off the coast of Ellesmere Island

I'm a grandmother who loves to go on solo kayaking expeditions to the Arctic.  So why am I now planning to paddle over 2,500 miles from Maine to Guatemala?



In the Arctic I enjoy the solitude of the tundra wilderness.  The Atlantic and Caribbean coasts are a little more crowded.  In the Arctic, I have paddled with whales and narwals and walruses, and have seen caribou, muskox, grizzlies and polar bears.  On this expedition there will be a different kind of wildlife.  In the Arctic, I learned so much from visiting with the Inuit.  On this expedition I will be sharing another of my passions with folks along my route.

The goal of the Kayak Safe Passage Expedition is to tell the story of the children who are living in the Guatemala City garbage dump community, to honor their entrepreneurial mothers, to talk about the success of Safe Passage model school, and to raise funds to add additional grades to the school.   There is such a great distance between my home in Maine and the Guatemala City garbage dump - not only in miles, but also in opportunities.  By paddling the miles and stopping to share the stories of Safe Passage along the way, I hope to inspire others to join me in helping the children.




Deb Walters


No comments:

Post a Comment