I am a grandmother paddling alone over 2,500 miles from Maine to Guatemala. Along the way I will be:
- telling the story of the children who live in the Guatemala City garbage dump community
- honoring their entrepreneurial mothers
- talking about the success of the Safe Passage model school and
- raising funds for additional grades for the school.

Sunday, June 22, 2014

Artisan Olive Oils and Vinegars

Fiore's Oil and Balsamic Vinegar
Why am I excited about taking great Fiore olive oil and vinegar on my expedition?

My latest sponsor is Fiore Artisian Olive Oils and Vinegars, from Rockland, Maine.  I'm so excited because they are a great Maine business, that's community minded.  But more importantly, olive oil is an important part of my expedition diet.  Since I need to keep down weight in the kayak, I want to take fats, as they have the more calories per gram that protein and carbohydrates.  Since I want to keep down weight on my body, I want the fat to be extra virgin olive oil (EVOO) as it has no cholesterol, and is 77% monounsaturated.

Balsamic vinegar is another must for me, as it can add so much flavor with a small amount.  And since it weighs no more to take the highest quality ingredients, I'm so happy to take along Fiore's Dark Chocolate Balsamic Vinegar as well as the Meyer Lemon EVOO.  It's going to fun opening up the food packages that are being sent to me along the route to find new Fiore flavors.

I'll share some of my recipes as I go along, but be warned.  What tastes great at the end of a long day as you are sitting on the shore, watching a wonderful sunset, might not taste as great at home.  I know vanilla ice cream drizzled with dark chocolate balsamic vinegar and Meyer lemon EVOO is delicious at home.  Will my camping version where I replace the ice cream with instant mashed potatoes be as good?

No comments:

Post a Comment