I am a grandmother paddling alone over 2,500 miles from Maine to Guatemala. Along the way I will be:
- telling the story of the children who live in the Guatemala City garbage dump community
- honoring their entrepreneurial mothers
- talking about the success of the Safe Passage model school and
- raising funds for additional grades for the school.

Friday, October 24, 2014

Annapolis

Deb and Joey Schott at the Eastport Yacht Club
Having a good time in Annapolis as I wait out the days and days of small craft advisories.

If you are nearby, come to the Eastport Yacht Club at 6:00 pm on Sunday and see my slideshow about the expedition and ask questions.  Besides providing a room for speaking, the Eastport Yacht Club has been hosting my kayak.  What a great, friendly and green yacht club!

Deb at the Eastport Yacht Club
On Thursday I did something I said I wouldn't do again.  I paddled during a small craft advisory.    But it was only from the EYC over to the town landing to meet the media.  What a great reception there with two magazines, a newspaper and a TV station.  Thanks, Nancy Noyes, for organizing the press!

Had a great time at the Annapolis Rotary Club on Thursday at noon.  They meet at the Annapolis Yacht Club.
Deb at the Annapolis Yacht Club - Rotary Club Meeting

I tested out my 1.5 mm NRS Hydroskin jacket on the short paddle on Thursday  Wow, nice to be so cozy and warm, and with no restriction to my paddling movements!  Thank you NRS for designing great paddling gear!

Joey Schott, at Chesapeake Light Craft, has been doing some minor touch-ups to my kayak.  I knocked the kayak against a dock and loosened the housing for rudder cable.  Joey is also providing me a place to stay in Annapolis.  What a great guy!  He redesigns and builds the kayak, repairs it, hosts me, and offers invaluable paddling advice as well!  His daughter, Kyla, gave up her bedroom for me.  What a great young woman!  Thank you Kyla!

Deb, Joey and Kyla

I've been working on repairing and modifying my Greenland paddle by taking down the shoulders.  It's so much fun and relaxing to spend a little time shaping wood!

Redesigned and sanded Greenland paddle
It's been hard getting over this cold.  Maybe it's just the reality of lots of kayaking in the fall.  I have deduced that these are the symptoms of fall expedition kayaking:
Fatigue, increased sensitivity to cold, muscle weakness, muscle aches, joint pain, hoarseness...

Imagine my delight when I found out that there is drug that cures the ills of fall expedition kayaking!  It turns out my prescription drugs have been degrading in the heat and damp.  I just got the results of my blood work, and here are the symptoms of my under medication:
Fatigue, increased sensitivity to cold, muscle weakness, muscle aches, joint pain, hoarseness, impaired memory...

Wow, I can now just take more pills and get back to feeling normal!  And even improve my memory!

No comments:

Post a Comment