I am a grandmother paddling alone over 2,500 miles from Maine to Guatemala. Along the way I will be:
- telling the story of the children who live in the Guatemala City garbage dump community
- honoring their entrepreneurial mothers
- talking about the success of the Safe Passage model school and
- raising funds for additional grades for the school.

Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Paddle Day 46: Wet, Cold, Rainy Marsh

Margo and Jill making their outrigger canoes fly!
Easy paddling with the current and a following breeze, but cold and wet.
The two days in bed has helped my cold a lot.  For the first time in many days I din't feel the continuous sweeps of chills as I started out paddling.

The Reed Beach neighborhood put on a fantastic sendoff for me with lots of folks around, including a photographer from the local paper.  Daniella's mother is a teacher and her high school students all sent me hand written messages of support.  Danielle had a lovely little silver bracelet for me with a theme of perseverance.

The water was so calm in the Delaware Bay - what a chance of pace!  The highest wave was about 6 inches!  Margo and her friend Jill came out to meet me from Bivalve in their speedy outrigger canoes and made me a little envious of their craft.  I paddled 12 miles and they paddled 9 miles in the same timeframe, but I had the current and wind with me the whole time, and they paddled against for it half the distance.

Historical photo of the Oyster docks at Bivalve
The Bayshore Center at Bivalve was a great place to stop, with fascinating exhibits about the height of the tourist and oyster business here.  Stayed at Laura Johnson's house, and she is a fabulous cook and hostess, with a charming mother!  Next I paddle to Megan Wren's house, the ED of the Center.  Thanks!!

My host Laura at the Bayshore Center
Should have changed out of my wet neoprene when I landed, as the extra ninety minutes of chill and shivering set me back a bit in terms of my health.  Live and learn.

Paddle Day: 46                                                         Date: October 13 2014
Start:  Reed's Beach                                                  End: Bivalve
Distance: 12 miles                                                    Total distance: 605.8 miles
Max speed:  5.4 mph                                                 Moving ave.: 3.9 mph
Kayak storage:  Longreach Marina                              Host: Laura Johnson, Bayshore Center at Bivalve 
                                    

3 comments:

  1. Deb, Thanks for all the commentary. I am really enjoying it! Am wondering-have you tried wearing a drysuit with different weights of one piece long underwear instead of the neoprene? Perhaps you have. Happy Paddling! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't wait for my husband to bring me my NRS drysuit in Virginia! But on the water I'm fine while working hard, it's just when I stop paddling at the end of the day that I get cold. And I do have a heavier NRS neoprene top I could be wearing now if it were much colder. Thanks for the comments!

      Delete
  2. ugh! my bad--best thing to do is get changed asap, as you know, outta that wet stuff!! my bad for keeping you from doing what you needed to do! what a cool place that Delaware Bayshore Discovery Center is, tho, isn't it? I'm planning on gong back! What a thrill to paddle with you--and so stoked Jill could come out, too. hahaha-I didn't have my GPS with me to see how slow we were going against the tide and wind. but it was fun just to be out on the water.

    ReplyDelete