I am a grandmother paddling alone over 2,500 miles from Maine to Guatemala. Along the way I will be:
- telling the story of the children who live in the Guatemala City garbage dump community
- honoring their entrepreneurial mothers
- talking about the success of the Safe Passage model school and
- raising funds for additional grades for the school.

Thursday, October 9, 2014

Yet another Small Craft Advisory Day - Activity packed rest day.

Paddle repair!
Having paddled the last two days in Small Craft Advisories, I found the wind to be quite tough.  So Wednesday I didn't paddle.  Today is a "rest day",  and it's jam-packed with activities!
Stan got me some glue for me to do an emergency repair of the tip that fell off my Greenland paddle.  Joey Shotz at Chesapeake light Craft will do a better repair when I land there.  I used a roof rack strap, a VW strap my husband left with me by mistake (thanks!), parchment paper and two pieces of kindling.  Seems to have done the trick, and with no mess and no sticking to the wrong things!

Margo helped me portage the kayak to Somner's Point.

World Paddler Margo Pellegrino with Deb
Margo is a top world paddler and has done many long distance expeditions.  She uses a chase car and packs very lightly in an ultra fast light weight outrigger canoe.  We talked about the challenges of paddling to a schedule as you have to do when you are paddling for a cause.  The only way I can do this is to skip sections when the weather is adverse for too long.  Margo didn't skip sections, as she had a chase car driver with her to help rearrange everything, and contact the media when she had to adjust her schedule.  Maybe I can get a chase car driver to help me out!  It certainly is tempting right now as the results of long hours of difficult paddling and not enough sleep have left me with a bad cold and a croaky voice.

Stan of the Somner's Point Rotary Club is doing an incredible job of hosting me.  He arranged for me to speak to their club, their interact Club and the Ocean City club.  I also went to speak at the Atlantic City Club, so 4 Rotary clubs in 2 days.
Farley Marina and the Golden Nugget
The Atlantic City Club met at the Golden Nugget, where my kayak had rested for two nights.  I was disappointed my kayak did not win any big gambling jack pots!

Add in two press interviews today and a meeting with some world class expeditioners, and it's been a jam packed time.  Captain Joel Fogel, renown world explorer, Ronny Bauer, surfer and world traveller, Margo Pellegreno, paddling expedition super woman, and I had a great lunch.  Captain Joel was generous with his advice and contacts!
Captain Joel Fogel
Now I'm off to two interviews and the last Rotary Club speaking engagement: croaky voice, chills from my cold and all.  This is what a rest day looks like in the expedition.


1 comment: