I am a grandmother paddling alone over 2,500 miles from Maine to Guatemala. Along the way I will be:
- telling the story of the children who live in the Guatemala City garbage dump community
- honoring their entrepreneurial mothers
- talking about the success of the Safe Passage model school and
- raising funds for additional grades for the school.

Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Three Weeks Post Surgery: Back to Presentations, Help Needed

Deb's first presentation post-op
Feeling a little better every day.  Not yet up to snuff!  Need help to paddle the rest of the miles!Still recovering in Savannah, and enjoying walking the historic area of the city, right outside the door of the apartment that has ben so generously donated for our use.  But I can't walk for too long, or even stay upright for too long.  There must be a lot of heavy ideas in my head, because after two weeks of having a neck brace hold up my head, it is hard to hold it up myself!

Sea Kayak Georgia on Tybee Island
Gave my first post surgery presentation.  It was at Sea Kayak Georgia out on Tybee Island, near Savannah, GA.  They have a wonderful selection of high end sea kayaks, and offer instruction at all levels.  Marsha did a great job of getting the word out to the local kayaking community and we had a group with many in-depth questions about the kayaking.  Thanks, Marsha!  

My kayak will be staying at this shop while Chris and I make a quick trip back to Maine to check on our house (probably have to shovel snow off the roof) and to pick up what I need for Guatemala.  We'll be back in Savannah the beginning of March and then head down to Florida for a month.  Let me know if you'd like me to give a presentation in Florida in March.  We'll try to fit it in.

We are looking at different ideas about how to get other kayakers to help out with the remaining 1,000 miles of kayaking for the expedition.  Let me know your ideas!




1 comment:

  1. How about a relay paddle down the coast? I know you paddle a modified CLC West River and if the foot pegs are adjustabke each paddler could paddle your boat on a 20 or so mile leg and hnad it off all the way to Miami. Failing that each paddler would paddle their own boat and hand off a "batton" that you would make and would be returned to you in Miami. Just a thought I'm Jack Jacoby in pPort St Lucie Fl 786-385-2344 jacknlin@aol.com

    ReplyDelete