I am a grandmother paddling alone over 2,500 miles from Maine to Guatemala. Along the way I will be:
- telling the story of the children who live in the Guatemala City garbage dump community
- honoring their entrepreneurial mothers
- talking about the success of the Safe Passage model school and
- raising funds for additional grades for the school.

Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Kayak nears completion!

Lots of clamps holding the cockpit coaming on while it sets.
I'm so excited as my kayak, being custom designed by Chesapeake Light craft, nears completion!   I get to see it in person for the first time this weekend!


The completed cockpit coaming, with the two recessed hatches.  
I'm going to find that day hatch behind the seat so convenient over the more than 2,500 miles of the Kayak For Safe Passage Kids expedition.  The recessed hatches will make it so much easier to scramble back aboard if I end up capsizing.  Another design feature I really like about the Chesapeake 18 hull, that forms the basis of this new kayak, is that it is so buoyant that I can do a self rescue very easily.  And chances are I will capsize at some time during the expedition.  All my capsizes in recent years have been intentional, so that I can practice my self rescue techniques.  But that doesn't mean that I'll never again end up in the water by accident.  During this year long expedition there will be lots of opportunities for things to get a little dicy.  Should we have a pool for the date of my first unintentional capsize?

Thanks again to Joey Schott, the design and construction wizard at Chesapeake Light Craft who is creating this kayak.  It's great to have this custom kayak donated!  It will add to my comfort and safety as I kayak along from Maine to Guatemala, sharing the stories of the children and families of the garbage dump and their success at the Safe Passage school that serves them.

No comments:

Post a Comment