I am a grandmother paddling alone over 2,500 miles from Maine to Guatemala. Along the way I will be:
- telling the story of the children who live in the Guatemala City garbage dump community
- honoring their entrepreneurial mothers
- talking about the success of the Safe Passage model school and
- raising funds for additional grades for the school.

Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Recycled Kayak: finished and fast!

Joey Schott and Deb with the kayak before its sea trial
Imagine the perfect expedition kayak made almost exclusively out of parts of old kayaks and left over scrapes from other boat building projects.
Joey Schott of Chesapeake Light Craft is the design and construction wizard that pulled off this feat to create my perfect expedition kayak, all designed and molded to be a perfect fit for my body.  And it fits like a glove!  It has all the advanced features needed for my expedition, being extra rugged, with a day hatch and huge storage areas.  It has a number of custom design features shaped out of carbon fiber.  I fell in love at first sight!  During my first test paddle I was surprised at how amazing it is to paddle a  kayak made to fit me, and at how fast it is as well.  Joey has promised to write a post explaining all the features.

I love the fact that it's a recycled kayak, since the purpose of the expedition is to raise money for the children of the parents who work recycling materials from the Guatemala City garbage dump.  The Oscar nominated documentary about the parents was "Recycled life".  So how fitting to be paddling from Maine to Guatemala in a recycled kayak.  The hull is from a boat I started making 16 years ago, but never completed.  Joey cut off the deck and cut out one bulkhead and built it all back up out of parts lying around the Chesapeake Light Craft shop.  Thank you, Joey for your amazing redesign!




No comments:

Post a Comment