I am a grandmother paddling alone over 2,500 miles from Maine to Guatemala. Along the way I will be:
- telling the story of the children who live in the Guatemala City garbage dump community
- honoring their entrepreneurial mothers
- talking about the success of the Safe Passage model school and
- raising funds for additional grades for the school.

Sunday, November 2, 2014

Adventures of Patito Amistoso: Chapter Five

Dear students at Safe Passage and children from around the world,

Playing in a puddle with a sun loving duckie.
It has been fun meeting lots of little duckies as Deb and I paddle along the coast.
 In Rock Hall I met the sun loving duckie and a very serious wood duck.
Wood duck and me.
In Annapolis, while Deb and Joey were working on repairing the kayak and paddle, I met the shop duck and we played in a little model boat.  All of the ducks here are so friendly, even if they don't all speak Spanish.
At the boat building shop playing in a little model boat.
We are not kayaking today because the wind is blowing like crazy and the waves are huge.  It would be so scary to be out there in the Chesapeake Bay in a kayak today.  So I am very happy to be playing safe inside with my new friends.

With my new friend, Naval Duckie
Two more new friends, Nicolas and Herbert, a hermit crab.
Can you see Herbert sticking out of his bright green shell?

Nicolas made us a play space where we were joined by his other hermit crab, Poka.

Our play space made by Nicolas.
Nicolas here! Hang'n with Deb right now!   Man am I glad I'm with her! Its very gloomy right now... Me and Deb are having a LOT of fun! Trust me! We are almost best friends!  More about me: I have 3 turtles, 2 hermit crabs, and everything else.  I rarely eat unhealthy foods.  I live by the Pax naval air station.  That's it for now.  Bye from Nicolas.
    
This is Patito, again.  This afternoon we walked down to the bay to see the wind and the waves.  I am hiding inside Deb's pocket and Nicolas is hiding inside his Mom's hat and his Dad's jacket.

Nicolas hiding, with his Dad, Shane, and his Mom, Amy.
These are the little waves against the shallow shore.  The deep waves are further out.  I was afraid of being blown away by the strong wind!  Tomorrow the winds will still be high and the waves will be higher, so another day on shore.  Hopefully Monday will be calm enough to paddle again!

Your friend,
Patito Amistoso







No comments:

Post a Comment