I am a grandmother paddling alone over 2,500 miles from Maine to Guatemala. Along the way I will be:
- telling the story of the children who live in the Guatemala City garbage dump community
- honoring their entrepreneurial mothers
- talking about the success of the Safe Passage model school and
- raising funds for additional grades for the school.

Friday, November 7, 2014

Paddle Day 57: Weather Worsens Enroute, Rescued by Rotarians

Weather catches Deb
The 15 knot winds increased during the day to the edge of what I could handle, but I had a great evening with Rotarians and Kathy and Ted.
There was one day between two days with small craft advisories, so I headed down to Indian Creek.  Unfortunately, the wind increased as I paddled and I had to resort to just creeping along.  During short thunderstorms, the winds whipped up even more.  I was happy to finally enter Indian Creek.

Calmer water in Indian Creek, but still stormy and wet.
As winter nears, and next week's polar vortex approaches, I wonder about continuing the expedition.  I'm warm enough on the water, but when I do have to camp, it will be hard to dry my paddling gear overnight.  Getting into cold, wet gear in the morning is not an appealing thought!  So far I have not had to camp (except the two nights I wanted to camp in Maine).  I have been spoiled by having hosts looking out after me every night.  But there are areas coming up where there will not be hosts as the areas are so remote, and camping will be my only option.  I did think about reversing the route and heading to Florida now and then heading north, but that just postpones the problems to next spring.  Whose idea was this expedition?  I've got to have a talk with that person!

Kathy and Ted found they needed to get Ted to the medical center at Duke, and their house was uninhabitable because of a water leak, so my plan to stay two more nights in Reedville would have meant camping out on their lawn with no facilities, and in the cold and wet.  My husband Chris sent out an emergency message to local Rotarians, and they not only put me up for two nights, but invited me, Ted and Kathy to an oyster roast as well!  Thank you Kilmarnock-Irvington-White Stone Rotary Club!

President Mat with Deb
Kathy, Deb and Ted at the Oyster Roast.
Paddle Day: 57                                                        Date: Nov 6, 2014
Start: Reedville                                                       End: Indian Creek
Distance: 13.7 miles                                                Total distance: 765.8 miles
Max speed:  4.6 mph                                                Moving ave.: 2.9 mph
Kayak storage:  Kekoka Camp                                   Hosts: Mat and Candy Terry

No comments:

Post a Comment