I am a grandmother paddling alone over 2,500 miles from Maine to Guatemala. Along the way I will be:
- telling the story of the children who live in the Guatemala City garbage dump community
- honoring their entrepreneurial mothers
- talking about the success of the Safe Passage model school and
- raising funds for additional grades for the school.

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Paddle Day 68: Warm Rain, Horses, Sand Dunes and Giving Thanks

Spot of sun on a stormy day
Quick paddle in the morning in warm rain with lots of animals, so I can arrive for lunch at a Rotary Club.

Lots of animals: flocks of snow geese, lone loons, and curious horses on shore.
Curious horse on shore
The rain was no problem in the 60 degree weather with a warm dry suit!
Head down and into the rain.
I have enjoyed my stay with Ralph and Donna - hosts extraordinaire!
Deb, Donna and Ralph
It's been fascinating learning about their work in bringing the joy of the outdoors (hang gliding, kite surfing, kayaking, surfing, etc) to so many through their business: "dedicated to those who dream... making it possible to bring the joy of flight to everyone with the dream."  How appropriate here in Nags Head, the location of the Wright brother's first successful flight and the tallest living sand dune system in the eastern US.
Ralph with the plaque on his former business.
Living sand dunes of Jockey's Ridge
Ralph loaded my kayak into his pick up truck and will store it over Thanksgiving.  On Monday I'll start two grueling days with about 60 miles on the Alligator River and the canal toward Bellhaven.  Maybe I'll see the black bears, the red wolves and the alligators.  Maybe I'll be so exhausted I will see nothing.

Looking forward to the Thanksgiving holidays with old friends!  There is so much to be thankful for. My previous solo kayak trips, while shorter than this one, have been expeditions where it was all up to me to get safely from the beginning to the end.  This trip is less a kayaking expedition and more performance art, where the audience plays the major role.  Without all of the support of hundreds of people along the way, this would have been a very different trip.  I am so thankful for the hosts who have met me at the dock, fed me, housed me, arranged interviews with reporters, invited friends and neighbors to meet me, shared their inspiring stories with me and generously donated to Safe Passage.  The many kayakers who joined me for a few hours or days made the long hours of paddling more enjoyable.  I am thankful for my good luck in staying safe as I've paddled rough ocean, windy marsh and busy shipping lanes.  The children and parents at Safe Passage have remained my inspiration, as I share their stories.   In these days before Thanksgiving the people hearing me speak are making the connection between their fortunate lives and the hard working folks at Safe Passage, are being thankful for their good fortune, and giving generously to help the children at Safe Passage.  For all of this, I am extremely thankful.

Paddle Day: 68                                                        Date: Nov 25, 2014
Start: Grandy                                                          End: Point Harbor
Distance: 11.6 miles                                                Total distance: 917.5 miles
Max speed:  4.8 mph                                               Moving ave.: 3.7 mph
Kayak storage:  Ralph Buxton                                  Hosts: Ralph and Donna Buxton

1 comment:

  1. I'm thankful that exceptional people like you do extraordinary things like this to help deserving folks like the Safe Passage Kids. Happy Thanksgiving, Deb! Enjoy your break...Kathy :o)

    ReplyDelete