I am a grandmother paddling alone over 2,500 miles from Maine to Guatemala. Along the way I will be:
- telling the story of the children who live in the Guatemala City garbage dump community
- honoring their entrepreneurial mothers
- talking about the success of the Safe Passage model school and
- raising funds for additional grades for the school.

Saturday, November 15, 2014

Paddle Day 60: Crossing bay and river, and an amazing welcome in Yorktown

Getting into my amazing SnapDragon sprayskirt
James joined me at the start of the day, George joined me at the end, along with Peggy and friends on the historic boat, Yorktown.
It was an easy launch from Cheryl and Billy's yard.  James was paddling with me and I was showing him my amazing Snap Dragon sprayskirt that is drum tight, easy to put on and completely dry!  I've never found a better sprayskirt.

James on the foggy morning
It was a little foggy as we set out to cross Mobjack Bay.

Moody sea and sky
After James turned back I was struck by the lovely moody views of sea and sky and I was about to turn into the York River.  As I neared Yorktown I saw a kayak in the distance - heading straight for me.  Looks like another surprise greeting.
George with his homemade skin-on-frame  kayak and paddle.
Only after meeting George did I notice the larger boat - the historic Yorktown - and saw Peggy and her friends on board!
Peggy, organizer extraordinaire, and some friends!
I had made it to Yorktown, which meant I had paddled one third of the expedition!
Deb happy to be in Yorktown and finally meet Peggy!
I was arriving early in Yorktown, and would leave the next day to continue paddling south.  There was another storm coming through that I needed to get ahead of.  So three long days of paddling on the pre-storm days, and before the temperature would drop suddenly with the coming polar vortex.  Peggy, the amazing woman who has organized so much of this part of the coast for me was very gracious abut changing the dates!

How did Peggy find out about this expedition?  She was trying to find out about paddling around Manhattan.  She visited the websites of NYC paddle clubs.  The Sebago Canoe and Kayak Club had a posting about my trip, and Peggy soon found herself reading the Kayak For Safe Passage Kids website.  Then she volunteered to host me.  But it didn't stop there.  She has worked tirelessly organizing kayak groups to meet me, places for me to stay up and down the coast, arranging press coverage and speaking engagements at Rotary Clubs!  While I would be paddling the next day out of Yorktown, I would still stay at Peggy's three nights.  Too short a time to be with such a whirlwind of enthusiasm and competence!

Amazing Peggy!

Paddle Day: 60                                                        Date: Nov 11, 2014
Start: Davis Creek                                                    End: Yorktown
Distance: 13.4 miles                                                Total distance: 813.4 miles
Max speed:  5.4 mph                                                Moving ave.: 3.5 mph
Kayak storage:  Wormley Creek Marina                     Host: Peggy Morrison

2 comments:

  1. Did Peggy find what she needed to paddle a lap around Manhattan? If not, send her my way & I'll get her sorted. Congrats on your 1/3-of-the-way milestone, Deb! -Alex

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations, Deb! A full one-third of the way is HUGE! You have accomplished so much already & done so much good in raising money & awareness for Safe Passage. Kathy :o)

    ReplyDelete