I am a grandmother paddling alone over 2,500 miles from Maine to Guatemala. Along the way I will be:
- telling the story of the children who live in the Guatemala City garbage dump community
- honoring their entrepreneurial mothers
- talking about the success of the Safe Passage model school and
- raising funds for additional grades for the school.

Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Paddle Day 49-136: Wind and Breaking Waves in the Keys

Key Largo Winds
North winds and breaking waves forced me onto my bike to peddle today's route.  As the winds are predicted to be even higher tomorrow, I'll try to avoid pedaling by kayaking on the south side along one of the longer keys.
Since I am kayaking alone, I have to be extra cautious, and not paddle when the conditions are iffy.  Today no one was paddling and no boats were on the water.  Had to switch to bike mode.  Same clothes, just different hat.
Kitting up to ride
The ride was basically like riding along a strip mall with lots of fast traffic.  The views from the water are much more fun!
Tavernier boat ramp
Arrived at the boat ramp I hope to paddle away from soon.

Gratitude List:
  1. More security now that I have a patch kit.
  2. Met folks with lovely strip built wooden kayaks at our campground.
  3. The aqua color of the water in the shallows.
  4. Butterflys as I rode.
  5. Chris and I getting pretty good at taking down and setting up camp.
Date: January 18, 2016                                               Restart Paddle Day: 49     Paddle Day:136
Start location: Key Largo, FL                                       Launch time: 11:00 AM
End location:  Tavernier                                              Land time: 12:11 PM
Average speed: 12.2 mph                                            Max Speed:  18.2 mph
Miles: 13
Total expedition miles with kayak and bike: 2391        Motor-portage miles: 404
Kayak Storage: Knight's Key Resort and Marina
Host: Chris Percival

No comments:

Post a Comment