I am a grandmother paddling alone over 2,500 miles from Maine to Guatemala. Along the way I will be:
- telling the story of the children who live in the Guatemala City garbage dump community
- honoring their entrepreneurial mothers
- talking about the success of the Safe Passage model school and
- raising funds for additional grades for the school.

Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Peddle Day 45: National Bike Route 1 and Olympic Sailors

Talking with two British Olympic sailors with their 49er FX
Biked today on the national Bike Route 1 that goes from Key West, Florida to Calais, Maine.  Also learned more about Olympic sailing on the 49er FX.

Should have paddled the day before, but instead had to deal with a problem with the gas in our camper.  Living the tiny life in a 17x8 foot A-frame camper is both fun and challenging.

Should have paddled today, but the winds were too strong in the wrong direction, so back to the bike.  Started in Cutler just south of the James Deering estate and pedaled through Coral Gables.  At the starting boat ramp I talked for quite  time with an experienced local kayaker who gave me lots of advice about the upcoming paddling through Biscayne Bay and the Keys.
Coral Gables bike path
I used Google maps to find a biking route between the two boat ramps.  I didn't like the route Google maps picked, and modified it based on what I thought might be a good route.  I was surprised to then find that the route I selected was all part of the US Bike Route 1.  Odd that Google didn't know that would be the best route for a bike.
US Bike Route 1
The route was lovely and varied, including an attractive bridge over one of the many canals in the area.  Some folks have asked if once I get to Key West will I kayak back home.  The answer is a clear "No!"  But, this bike route had me briefly contemplating biking back to Maine.  Only briefly, I have to stress.
Bridge over a  canal on US Bike Route 1
As I arrived at the boat ramp at the end of ride, the Olympic sailors were taking out their boats and de-rigging them.  Two young British sailors told me a bit more about their boats - the 49er FX, which is a new category (skiff) for the Olympics this year.  The boats look like so much fun as they are both fast and tender in that they respond so much to how they are handled.  Nearby is the US Sailing Center, which is an Olympic training site, which is why there were teams from all over the world out in the bay.

Gratitude List:
  1. the generosity of other kayakers in sharing their knowledge
  2. banyan trees
  3. friendly sailors
  4. rain mostly stopped while I biked
  5. Chris doing such a great job of supporting me 
Date: January 10, 2016                                               Restart Paddle Day: 45     Paddle Day:132
Start location: Cutler, FL                                            Launch time: 1:15 pm
End location:  Miami 2                                                Land time: 2:45 pm
Average speed: 9.1 mph                                             Max Speed: 17.1 mph
Miles: 11
Total expedition miles with kayak and bike: 2340        Motor-portage miles: 404
Kayak Storage:  Hollywood KOA
Host: Chris Percival

No comments:

Post a Comment