I am a grandmother paddling alone over 2,500 miles from Maine to Guatemala. Along the way I will be:
- telling the story of the children who live in the Guatemala City garbage dump community
- honoring their entrepreneurial mothers
- talking about the success of the Safe Passage model school and
- raising funds for additional grades for the school.

Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Adventures of Patito Amistoso: Chapter Three

Dear children at Safe Passage and around the world,

Swimming at last!
I am so happy!  I finally swam alongside Deb.  Can you find me in the photo?  It is hard because I am yellow and the kayak is yellow.  I even have a yellow safety line!  I like that safety line.  If the waves get too big I ask Deb to pull me in!  I keep the safety line on when I am on the kayak as well, so if I get swept overboard, Deb can haul me back aboard.

Rotary Interact girls with Deb and me
I haven't seen very many children on my voyage.  I think they are all at school, studying hard like I did.  But there are two older girls who played with me at a kayak dock.  They are helping to raise money for the Safe Passage school, so I told them about all of the children at Safe Passage.  They enjoyed the stories, especially about playing on the swings and the slides at the Escuelita and about break dancing!  I tried to break dance on the dock, but it was too wobbly and I fell off and had to be rescued!  We all laughed about that.

Remember Deb told me I would see the "Duck Boat" in Boston?  Here it is:
Duck Boat on land
It looks more like a Guatemalan "Chicken Bus" to me!
Duck Boat entering the water
But a Guatemalan bus does not drive right into the water!  Oh dear, will it sink?
Duck Boat on the water
I was surprised that it floated and could even swim along the river!


In about two weeks we will be in New York City.  Did you know Manhattan is an island?  We will have to paddle all the way down one side and then back up the other side to reach the place we will stay.  I am worried about being in all of the traffic of big ships.  But I am excited to see the Statue of Liberty and the big city!

Your friendly duckie,
Patito Amistoso

No comments:

Post a Comment