I am a grandmother paddling alone over 2,500 miles from Maine to Guatemala. Along the way I will be:
- telling the story of the children who live in the Guatemala City garbage dump community
- honoring their entrepreneurial mothers
- talking about the success of the Safe Passage model school and
- raising funds for additional grades for the school.

Saturday, September 6, 2014

Paddle Day 31: Against the currents, Hot and Thirsty

Saybrook Point Light house
It was a pleasant start from Saybrook Point, but I was having to paddle hard against the current.
 Yesterday I paddled later in the day to be with the current, but had more winds and heat.  So today I experimented with paddling early morning and dealing with the currents instead.   There were only a few spots rounding points where the currents caused me to paddle full strength.  But the current was enough of a drag that I hugged the shore.  The distance was longer, but I covered ground much more quickly.

Platypus filled with my homemade energy drink
When I went to take my first drag on my Platypus hydration bag, I had a salty surprise.   At Harbor One Marina I left my kayak on a floating dock, so didn't unpack to rear hatch.  I thought I had everything I needed from the forward hatch and the day hatch.  But at 5:30 a.m. as I was about to fill my Platypus, I found I didn't have my powdered gaiter-aid.  No worries.  What's in gaiter-aid?  Just sugar, salt and lemon I figured, so I mixed up a concoction with Ann's help.  It looked okay, but I really should have tasted it!  Now, here I was on the water for four hours with an energy drink that was undrinkable.  I had my back up water bottle (12 oz) and a bottle of a milky energy mix.  But I usually drink much, much more than that during a day's paddle.

I'm hugging the shore to avoid the current.  I see everything going on on shore up close and personal.  I'm hot.  I'm thirsty.  What do I see?  A guy water ing his lawn.  I woman throwing away an empty water bottle,  and even an artificial waterfall in front of a summer house!  Pure torture!  Not going to do this again!

It was much more entertaining paddling close to shore.  I saw sea side homes with pleasant beaches in front.  This area was hit hard by Sandy, and there were homes being raised up to reduce the chances of flooding.
Raise and add a white geometric box
I liked the simplicity of the white geometric box added to the front of this cottage to form a striking porch.

Sea-side home as fortress against the sea 
There were homes that were trying to solve the problem with large seas walls that looked like a fortress.  Could they see much of the sea, or just that fortress wall?

Talking head
I was close enough for conversation with a talking head in the water.  He wished me luck on getting to Guatemala, but no, he didn't have a water bottle with him.

Jack and the two Debs - before dawn!
It was so good to reach Clinton and my wonderful hosts Jack and Deb Eagan.  Yes, they did have water!  An evening outside party on the shore with the Clinton Rotary Club was a special treat.  They are a small but mighty club!  Jack helped my adjust my rudder cable - no more sloppy steering.  It was a second special treat to attend the Chester Rotary Club Lobster Bake the next night.

Paddle Day: 31                                                          Date: Sept. 5, 2014
Start: Saybrook Point                                                 End: Clinton
Distance: 12.4 miles                                                  Total distance: 342.78 miles
Max speed:  5 mph                                                    Moving ave.: 3.3 mph
Kayak storage:  Jack and Deb Eagan                           Host: Jack and Deb Eagan

1 comment:

  1. Be safe! We hope to see you when you reach VA! I adopted my sons from Guatemala and they wish you safe passage also! The Dixons

    ReplyDelete