I am a grandmother paddling alone over 2,500 miles from Maine to Guatemala. Along the way I will be:
- telling the story of the children who live in the Guatemala City garbage dump community
- honoring their entrepreneurial mothers
- talking about the success of the Safe Passage model school and
- raising funds for additional grades for the school.

Monday, September 1, 2014

Paddle Day 28: New state, Protected waters and Company!

Kim paddles past old lighthouse
Finished Rhode Island today, and passed the 300 mile mark!
Four states down, nine states and two countries to go!

It was great paddling today with Kim, who joined me for the entire day and told me stories of the coast as we paddled along.  It was the easiest paddle yet, being sheltered by Fischer's Island, and with low winds.  Now the most exposed sections of the coast are behind me (until NJ).  Will I miss the big swells?

Three state marker washed ashore in the '38 Hurricane
The story about the big granite block near the sandy spit is that it was the marker for where the three states come together, but that it was washed ashore in the huge hurricane of 1938, which wiped all the mansions off of Napatree as well.  Tales of houses floating across the bay with the families still inside still are told int he area.  Superstorm Sandy also caused major damage in this region.

Troy and Heather on the dock as I arrive.
My hosts for two days are Tory and Heather.  They are the first hosts who first heard about the expedition from a TV story and then went online and volunteered to host me.  It's been wonderful getting to know them and this great coastline.

Selfie trio
Heather and Troy said they'd like to kayak with me.  I mentioned the dates I'll still be in Connecticut. "Oh no", they said, "we want to join you down in Key West!"  That will be such fun!  Thanks!


Paddle Day: 28                                                          Date: Sept. 1, 2014
Start: Westerly                                                          End: Noank
Distance: 10.4 miles                                                  Total distance: 307.76 miles
Max speed:  4.8 mph                                                  Moving ave.: 2.7 mph
Kayak storage:  Troy and Heather Scrapchansky           Host: Troy and Heather Scrapchansky 



1 comment:

  1. It was an absolute pleasure having you here Deb! I hope you enjoyed half as much as we did.

    ReplyDelete