I am a grandmother paddling alone over 2,500 miles from Maine to Guatemala. Along the way I will be:
- telling the story of the children who live in the Guatemala City garbage dump community
- honoring their entrepreneurial mothers
- talking about the success of the Safe Passage model school and
- raising funds for additional grades for the school.

Monday, September 8, 2014

Paddle Day 32: Longest and Easiest Paddle Day, and Another First!

Why is Deb smiling?
Longest distance paddled this trip, and most time on the water.  Why is Deb still smiling?


Morning sky
Had to leave before dawn to ride the currents and avoid the winds.
"Where's Deb" tracks 
The day before, between Old Saybrook and Clinton, I had the current against me, so I hugged the shore.  From Clinton to Sachem Head I stayed out to let the current push me along.  When the tide turned, I tucked back in behind the Thimble Islands.

A Thimble Island
The granite of the Thimble Islands reminded me of Maine, and the now bright sunshine warmed me inside and out.

Small island - large house - sliding into the sea
Some of the islands were tiny, but with huge houses.  I loved the double meaning as I looked at this photo of the small island and large house sliding into the sea.

Why was I so happy on this long paddling day?  First, I realized that I was no longer dealing with the constant mental stress of paddling the open ocean.   On exposed coasts I didn't know what the conditions would be around the next headland, and the paddling was almost constantly challenging.  Paddling in the more protected Long Island Sound has, so far, been easy in comparison.  (That may change tomorrow when I'll be paddling with a strong and gusty tail wind.)  Second, unlike the last paddle day, I had lots of energy drink and lots of water.  And that led to the third reason.  With lots of drinking comes....well you know.  This was the first day where I could easily land my kayak during the day.  When I saw a small park with facilities, and a tiny protected beach, I jumped at the chance.  The smile above is after the fact.

Deb, Millicent and Colin
PDG Colin and his wife Millicent met me at the Branford Yacht Club, and we enjoyed a wonderful social with the Ridgefield Rotary Club at the elegant country estate of one of the members.  Colin shared his office with me the next morning so that I could get some work done.  Then Tricia and Al hosted me at their waterfront home.  Life is good with such generous and gracious hosts!

Paddle Day: 32                                                          Date: Sept. 7, 2014
Start: Saybrook Point                                                 End: Clinton
Distance: 18.5 miles                                                  Total distance: 361.28 miles
Max speed:  5.7 mph                                                 Moving ave.: 3.6 mph
Kayak storage:  Brandford Yacht Club                         Hosts: Colin and Millicent Gershon
                                                                                         Tricia Bohan and Al Ridinger

No comments:

Post a Comment