I am a grandmother paddling alone over 2,500 miles from Maine to Guatemala. Along the way I will be:
- telling the story of the children who live in the Guatemala City garbage dump community
- honoring their entrepreneurial mothers
- talking about the success of the Safe Passage model school and
- raising funds for additional grades for the school.

Saturday, September 13, 2014

Paddle Day 35: Over 400 Miles, Bone Dry Hatches, and FoxCT fun!

Deb working hard as a kayaker
Over 400 miles down - only 2,100 miles to go!
Passed the 400 mile mark on my solo kayak expedition from Maine to Guatemala!
Deb in front of Sea-Lect Designs hatch cover
I love my hatch covers.  I've been waiting for seas so rough that my hatch covers would leak, so that I could talk about how little they leaked.  But no!  I'm surfed and I've been in water so rough that I turned back to shore. My hatch covers have been constantly submerged on and off for 35 days and 400 miles of paddling.  All of my other hatch covers would have leaked by this point.  But with the Sea-Lect Designs performance hatch covers on my kayak, all three hatches are bone dry!  This is amazing!
Dry box in the bow hatch, with technique for keeping hatch cover dry
I like how the tethered hatch covers will snap under the hatch ring and stay out of the water.  Having a large hatch opening, even in the bow means it's easy to load and unload, even bulk gear like dry boxes and my large Seal-Line Kodiak taper dry bags.   The hatch covers snap on very positively so that you know they are sealed.  The dryness and the size sure make it easy to bring along my laptop!   Thank you Sea-Lect Designs for awesome hatch covers!

FoxCT film crew came down from Hartford to meet me
FoxCT sent a film crew down from Hartford and we had great fun working together as I packed my kayak and set off for Rowayton.  Check out their very nicely edited piece with some great lines: http://foxct.com/2014/09/12/grandma-kayaks-2500-miles-for-a-good-cause/

I had to leave Southport a day early due to weather, but Rick Benson brought me back for the reception on the deck of the Pequot Yacht Club organized by my wonderful hosts, Pat and Chuck Matteson.
Deb working hard as a fundraiser
Over 40% of our goal reached!
Pat and Chuck Matteson
All of the good photos on this blog post were taken by yesterday's rescue angel, Jon Van Gorder.  Check out his studio http://www.vangorderstudios.com/

Paddle Day: 35                                                          Date: Sept. 12, 2014
Start: Southport (Fairfield)                                        End: Rowayton
Distance: 10.6 miles                                                  Total distance: 401.43 miles
Max speed:  5.3 mph                                                  Moving ave.: 3.3 mph
Kayak storage:  Rowayton Yacht Club                         Hosts: Pat and Chuck Matteson
Shoreside Angel:  Rick Benson

No comments:

Post a Comment