I am a grandmother paddling alone over 2,500 miles from Maine to Guatemala. Along the way I will be:
- telling the story of the children who live in the Guatemala City garbage dump community
- honoring their entrepreneurial mothers
- talking about the success of the Safe Passage model school and
- raising funds for additional grades for the school.

Saturday, September 6, 2014

Paddle Day 29: Head Winds, Splashes and Saved by Sue!

About to be PUSHED OFF
Launched from Noank with a big push.  So much for self propelled.   How can I get those pushes all day long?


Leaving Noank

Great to have photos from Troy and Heather, so I can check to see if the kayak load is balanced bow and stern.

Leaving Noank
My little kayak quickly become dwarfed by the big boats, and then become invisible.  Have to stay out of the way of ships and boats on the water since they can't see me!

Little splashes from the little waves
Fairly easy paddling until I hit Niantic Bay and had head winds to paddle against as I passed the nuclear power plant and approached for my landing spot.  Had to put on the power as there were press and Rotarians waiting for me.  I was the speaker for the lunch meeting and wanted to have time to change from my neoprene.

Deb, Sue and Katie (granddaughter and frequent guest at Rotary)
Not only was Sue Wheeler an awesome host who organized press coverage, a speaking engagement and a fun reception, she also helped me out of a jam.  On the way to the Rotary meeting I received an email from a host further down the coast who had to bail.  But Sue picked up the phone, made some calls to Rotarians she knew, and within a few hours she had me all set with hosts for the rest of Connecticut!  And then she topped it off by helping me compose a grant request for her club.  Thank you, Sue!!!   

With hosts like Sue, who are inspired by the stories of the Safe Passage children living in the garbage dump neighborhood, raising money for the Safe Passage school is made much easier.  The Niantic Rotarians asked great questions about the school and how it is a model for education in Guatemala.  Fun and fundraising - a great combination with such generous Rotarians.

Paddle Day: 29                                                          Date: Sept. 3, 2014
Start: Noank                                                             End: Niantic
Distance: 12.8 miles                                                 Total distance: 320.56 miles
Max speed:  5 mph                                                    Moving ave.: 2.9 mph
Kayak storage: Niantic Bay Yacht Club                        Host: Sue Wheeler

No comments:

Post a Comment