I am a grandmother paddling alone over 2,500 miles from Maine to Guatemala. Along the way I will be:
- telling the story of the children who live in the Guatemala City garbage dump community
- honoring their entrepreneurial mothers
- talking about the success of the Safe Passage model school and
- raising funds for additional grades for the school.

Friday, October 23, 2015

Adventures of Patito Amistoso: Chapter Seven

See with Sandy!
Dear Children in Guatemala and around the world,

It's been a while since I have written, because we had a little halt in the expedition while Deb recovered from her neck injury.  Now we are back on the water, and I had a great day yesterday.  I guess I should also tell you about the celebration in Guatemala last spring as well.
It was so much fun to finally be back home in Guatemala and see all my friends at Safe Passage.  I felt like a celebrity, as all of the children wanted to have their pictures taken with me.  I've included on of my favorites here.    I was glad when they didn't squeeze me too hard in the photos.

Yesterday Deb and I stayed on a house on a little island.  The island was so small there was only one house on it.  It was surrounded by marsh, and it took us a long boat ride to get there.  It was just like Robinson Crusoe, with a couple who had what I thought was a tree house because it had so many decks, some of them up in the trees.   The house reminded me of Guatemala, as so much of the living space was outside.  I could even take a shower outside.  They also had chickens, and hogs, and fruit trees (banana, orange, etc.) and gardens and a well.  It was such fun exploring all the paths and boardwalks on the island.
Mindi and the "tree house"
But the best part was seeing the videos Mindi Morrall and her group make for children there.  They are all about exploring outside.  I liked the songs and the dancing, and I learned a lot!  Check them out!  This first one is about exploring the marsh.


This next one is about litter clean-up.


Then there is one about learning the directions:


And one about learning the tides:


You can learn more at their website: See With Sandy.

That's all for today.

Your friend,
Patito Amistoso

No comments:

Post a Comment