I am a grandmother paddling alone over 2,500 miles from Maine to Guatemala. Along the way I will be:
- telling the story of the children who live in the Guatemala City garbage dump community
- honoring their entrepreneurial mothers
- talking about the success of the Safe Passage model school and
- raising funds for additional grades for the school.

Friday, October 16, 2015

Paddle Day 11: Flying down the river, but floating cars, dressers and sofas???

Talking with Patito in my pocket
Fast day going with the current - until the last two miles going against the peak current.  Scary tales from sailors who navigated the flooded rivers in Charleston.
Started the day by draining my shoes as I entered the kayak.
Elegant entry into the kayak
I'm trying to keep my cockpit dry,  as I've had two days where I found red rings of welts at the top of my socks at the end of the day.  It started the day I stopped on a mud bank, and had lots of sand flees jump into my cockpit.  I think they might be breeding in there.  Ugh!  So yesterday I dried out the cockpit and then spayed deet inside before closing it up for the night.  Seemed to do the trick.

Clear skies, going from high tide to mid tide, being pushed out by the ebb.  Passing Moon River I realized the Johny Mercer song is a great song for my expedition, so I sang it at the top of my lungs.

Moon river, wider than a mile
I'm crossing you in style some day
Oh, dream maker, you heart breaker
Wherever you're goin', I'm goin' your way
Two drifters, off to see the world
There's such a lot of world to see
We're after the same rainbow's end, waitin' 'round the bend
My huckleberry friend, moon river, and me
Found out later that there was no Moon River in Savannah when Mercer wrote the song, but after it's success, a small river was renamed "Moon River".  It is only a mile wide where it enters the Burnside River.
Wide open spaces
Near the delta of the Little Ogeechee River, the vistas opened up, before I had to turn left up against the current into the Delegal Creek.  Joe and Kathy had arranged for my kayak to stay at the Marina there.
Sailors I talked with at the dock
As I entered the marina, I stopped to talk with two sailors.  Randy Hill told me of snow birds coming south with their boats and their experiences navigating the flooded rivers near Charleston.   One person talked about having to dodge the items floating down the river including a car, a dresser and a sofa.  Glad I wasn't trying to paddle there!

Tomorrow is a rest day, so welcome after four days straight on the water.  Unfortunately the weather for Sunday and Monday includes a large drop in temperatures and high winds.   The lower temperatures will be welcome, but the winds may be problematic.

Gratitude List:

  1. Following seas
  2. Friendly southern boaters who slow down and wave
  3. Being surrounded by dolphins
  4. Seeing dolphins herd the fish onto the bank
  5. Great conversation at dinner

Date: October 16, 2015                                                    Restart Paddle Day: 11
Start location: Skidaway Island Georgia                          Launch time: 12:00 pm
End location:  Delegal                                                      Land time: 2:30 pm
Average speed: 4.1 mph                                                   Max Speed: 6.5 mph
Miles: 9
Total expedition miles with kayak: 1701                           Motor-portage miles: 330
Kayak Storage: Delegal Marina
Hosts: Joe and Kathy Ginett

No comments:

Post a Comment