I am a grandmother paddling alone over 2,500 miles from Maine to Guatemala. Along the way I will be:
- telling the story of the children who live in the Guatemala City garbage dump community
- honoring their entrepreneurial mothers
- talking about the success of the Safe Passage model school and
- raising funds for additional grades for the school.

Saturday, October 31, 2015

Paddle Day 17: Made it to Florida!

Two reporters and Art and Theresa at arrival
Last minute route change added six miles, but made the day much easier.  Like coming home staying with the Schusters!Mike Northrup, of Southeast Adventure, gave me and my kayak a ride to St. Mary's.  Great hour of conversation about kayaking in the Arctic and other bucket list destinations.

Art Schuster met us at the boat ramp and took my gear by car to Fernamdina Beach.  Art asked if I was taking the inside or the outside route.  "Inside route?" I asked.  He pointed out a way to avoid the heavier weather in the sound.  Not all the route was on my charts, but I explored it electronically, and quickly realized it would make much better use of the tides, despite being 6 miles longer.  

Rose's Bluff
By going more inland, I was passing the highest ground I had seen since restarting the expedition five and a half weeks ago.  Must have been 50 feet above sea level.  Wow!

Paper mills in the distance
It was interesting arriving in Fernadina Beach by boat, as you see the paper mills and other industry, where if you arrive by car, you only see the cute village.  I like the fact this is a real community with residential and industrial areas.

Making progress.  13 states down.  Only 1 state and two countries to go!

Body is suffering.  Sore shoulders.  Hope I recover a bit when I take a week off to visit the UN.

Gratitude List:

  1. Local knowledge about a better route
  2. Orange butterfly coming my way
  3. Jumping fish in the river
  4. Holiday thoughts on the Jolly and Bells Rivers
  5. Getting a ride to St Marys

Date: October 31, 2015                                                   Restart Paddle Day: 17
Start location: St Mary's, Georgia                                     Launch time: 11:40 am
End location:  Jerandina Beach, FL                                  Land time: 3:40 pm
Average speed: 3.4 mph                                                 Max Speed: 6.7 mph
Miles: 14
Total expedition miles with kayak: 1888                          Motor-portage miles: 397
Kayak Storage:  Ferandina Harbor Marina
Hosts: Art and Theresa Schuster

No comments:

Post a Comment