I am a grandmother paddling alone over 2,500 miles from Maine to Guatemala. Along the way I will be:
- telling the story of the children who live in the Guatemala City garbage dump community
- honoring their entrepreneurial mothers
- talking about the success of the Safe Passage model school and
- raising funds for additional grades for the school.

Sunday, October 25, 2015

Paddle Day 12: Windy Trip to an Island Paradise

Up close and personal
After four days not paddling, it was good to get back on the water, but the wind beat me up, and I landed tired and hurting.  Meeting my hosts who took me by boat to their island paradise revived me!
Although the currents were mostly with me, the wind seems to overpower the currents in these parts.  Just a 15 mph wind created problems because the marsh lands are too flat and low to break the wind.

I was so happy to arrive on Barbour's Island, tired and aching.  There was a golf cart waiting for me to explore the island.
Rusted out on Barbour Island
After walking around a bit,  I set up my office in the golf cart, as there was good 4G signal.  Mindi and Stephen Morrall picked me up from the dock in their power boat and took me to Bird Island, the island they own and have turned into a paradise.

Mindi and their "tree house"
Mindi and Stephen believe that everything is a circle.  They were hosting me because someone sent out an email asking for help, and it got forwarded again and again until it reached them.  The next night they would host Tawana Williams, the author of "Unarmed and Dangerous".    Tawana was a thalidomide baby born without arms.  She is now an artist, author and inspirational speaker.  Wish I could have met her, but I did check out her website.  I enjoyed Mindi and Stephen's inspiring philosophy of life.
Stephen
From the chickens to the hogs to the raised gardens and water collection system, they have created a sustainable home.  Stephen is an addict they said.  Addicted to building decks, that is, and there are decks in the treetops, and decks on the ground to get to the decks at the cottage at the other end of the island.
Overlooking the marsh
It's been fun working on finding routes through the coastal marshes of Georgia.  It really is like Maine where we say, "You can't get there from here."  Many thanks to all the folks who found me hosts along this wild, sparsely developed coast.  I thought I would be camping 5 nights, and now it's only one night.  That night on Cumberland Island should be great.
Some of the route options I explored in advance.
Gratitude list:

  1. Stephan saying that they don't really own the island but live temporarily on it until the sea takes it back.
  2. Laying in the sun on the dock, resting my back.
  3. Learning about the marshes from people who know and love them.
  4. Paddling through sun sparkles on the water
  5. More wonderful hosts


Date: October 22, 2015                                                    Restart Paddle Day: 12
Start location: Half Moon MarinaGeorgia                         Launch time: 8:30 am
End location: Barbour Island                                             Land time: 12:45 pm
Average speed: 3.4 mph                                                   Max Speed: 6.4 mph
Miles: 14
Total expedition miles with kayak: 1779                           Motor-portage miles: 362
Kayak Storage: Barbour Island Community Dock
Hosts: Mindi and Stephen Morrall

No comments:

Post a Comment