I am a grandmother paddling alone over 2,500 miles from Maine to Guatemala. Along the way I will be:
- telling the story of the children who live in the Guatemala City garbage dump community
- honoring their entrepreneurial mothers
- talking about the success of the Safe Passage model school and
- raising funds for additional grades for the school.

Sunday, August 17, 2014

Biking Day 1: Cape Cod Canal

Watching a tanker in the Cape Cod Canal from my host home.
I really was only joking about this becoming a road trip...


But since the Army Corp of Engineers would not allow me (or any other boat without an engine) to pass through the Cape Cod Canal,  I had to do it by road.  So I joined my host Beth biking along the canal from Bourne to Sandwich and back (almost).  It was great to get my legs a little more exercise than normal.  I had noticed in Boston that after just three weeks of kayaking, I was no longer running up the stairs to the third floor at Rich and Jane's house.
Standing waves in the Cape Cod Canal
I'm staying with Dave and Beth in a house right on the eastern end of the canal, and it is endlessly entertaining to watch the change in the water and the boat traffic going through.  The wind is gusting to 25 knts today, and the flag poles are swaying, even without flags.  The wind against the current is creating standing waves that are breaking at the canal entrance.  So glad I am not kayaking today!  Great day to be meeting with Rotarians about a grant for Safe Passage!

Dave, Beth and Deb in front of Beth's canal side home
Dave and Beth have been fantastic hosts - picking up me and my kayak in Plymouth, hosting a great party, and then taking me to Wareham tomorrow to begin kayaking again.  Hopefully the winds will have died down by tomorrow morning.


Biking Day: 1                                                         Date: August 16, 2014
Start: Cape Cod Canal                                            End: Cape Cod Canal
Distance: 15 miles                                                 Total distance: 220.65
Max speed: 13 mph                                                Moving ave.: 8 mph
Kayak storage: hosts!                                             Hosts: Dave Sampson and Beth Griffin

No comments:

Post a Comment