I am a grandmother paddling alone over 2,500 miles from Maine to Guatemala. Along the way I will be:
- telling the story of the children who live in the Guatemala City garbage dump community
- honoring their entrepreneurial mothers
- talking about the success of the Safe Passage model school and
- raising funds for additional grades for the school.

Sunday, August 24, 2014

Paddle Day 23: What a difference a day makes!

Terns at sea.
What looked so challenging yesterday in the higher winds, was a breeze today in the lighter tail wind, with only one spot of challenge.


For those of you worried about that gap in my route from yesterday, rest assured that I filled it in today.

Leaving New Bedford
I feel like Massachusetts has the largest ratio of coastline to area of any state.  Probably not true, but sure feels that way.   I remember listening in England to the radio version of the "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy".  One of my favorite lines was about the award that the designer of the the coastline of Norway received for "all of those fiddly bits."  Perhaps Massachusetts should get an honorable mention for that category.   Finally finished Massachusetts' "fiddly bits"  today.   Three states down and just eleven states and two countries to go!

Biggest excitement for the day was right when I put in.  Something felt wrong.  My paddle was making big splashing sounds, and I was having to exert a lot of force on one side.  A hah!  The control side of my paddle was fine,  but the blade on the other side was almost backwards!  It has been great having my husband along to help me make a quick launch in the mornings, and this morning he even put together my paddles.  He correctly remembered that the length adjustment I use is 1.5 cm, and that the angle is 75 degrees.  But being left handed, he dialed up 75 degrees left instead of 75 degrees right.  Fortunately, on my Epic Carbon, Active Touring paddle is very easy to adjust on the water, and I was soon back in the swing of things.

On the water paddle adjustment.
The day involved lots of singing as I paddled along:
     The sea holds up my boat.
     The sea provides my path.
     The sea lifts up my heart.
     The sea restores my soul.
I guess the combination of endorphins and pain killers is a good combination.  It was interesting the difference in opinion of the Massachusetts medic - "Might do permanent damage if you continue," and my Maine orthopedist - "Man up!  It's just pain, take some pills and keep going."

As I neared the end of an easy morning of paddling, I saw Chris up on shore and pulled in.  But I was a mile or so short of where I put-in yesterday, so to connect the routes, I picked up my Delorme inReach Explorer and walked the missing distance.  The only problem was that I couldn't keep up my four miles an hour average on land in my paddling boots, and watched my average drop to 3.9 mph.

The marine forecast for tomorrow is great, but Tuesday has higher winds from an unfavorable direction.  The very exposed route I was planning to paddle on Tuesday will be best kayaked tomorrow, so I'll postpone my rest day until I reach Newport.  It's just a few pain pills away!

Paddle Day: 23                                                      Date: August 24, 2014
Start: New Bedford                                                End: Westport
Distance: 12.05 miles                                            Total distance: 265.41 miles
Max speed: 6.0 mph                                               Moving ave.: 3.9 mph
Kayak storage: Yakima rack                                    Host: Chris Percival

No comments:

Post a Comment