I am a grandmother paddling alone over 2,500 miles from Maine to Guatemala. Along the way I will be:
- telling the story of the children who live in the Guatemala City garbage dump community
- honoring their entrepreneurial mothers
- talking about the success of the Safe Passage model school and
- raising funds for additional grades for the school.

Friday, August 22, 2014

Paddle Day 21: Following seas speed me to New Bedford

Early start in Marion
It felt really good to be back on the water, with an early morning start in Marion.  
Once I passed Converse Point (dozen or so homes of the Converse Rubber Shoe Company family are on this private peninsula), the wind was at my back and the current was in my direction.  Sweet!

I was paddling an unloaded kayak, which led to a fast, sporty ride in the following seas, on this overcast, moody day.

Moody weather
Had a chance to use my ICOM VHF radio from West Marine today, as I sent out "sécurité, sécurité, sécurité"  messages as I crossed the busy shipping lane into New Bedford, the largest fishing port in the US.
Looking for boats as I crossed the busy shipping lane
Was so cosy in my new NRS long sleeve neoprene top.  It's a bit scary how well it matches my NRS PDF.  I've never been this color coordinated before!

Had a chance to do some chart and compass work using my Maptech charts.  Yes, I have electronic mapping GPS, but I rely on the waterproof paper charts.  They never run out of batteries.  They never fail due to too much salt water.  They never have condensation problems.  I am so lucky to have Richardson's Maptech as a sponsor.  They gave me not only the waterproof folding charts, but also the waterproof chartbooks, (which I forgot for one section, and my husband brought them to me the next day!)  They also sent me their cruising guides.  I had used both the folding charts and the chartbooks for kayaking for years and think they are the best charts for kayakers as they show not only all the marine information, but also much of the info on land, (which is often missing on electronic marine charts).  But I had never used the cruising guides before.  They give great info on the navigational dangers for different harbors, as well as interesting history of the towns.  Very useful for kayaking in areas you don't know.  Now I read the cruising guide pages every day for the next leg.  It was great to be met by Mark from Richardson's Maptech when I landed in New Bedford.  Thanks again for all the great charts!!

Deb and Mark checking out the Maptech chart


Paddle Day: 21                                                      Date: August 22, 2014
Start: Marian                                                         End: New Bedford
Distance: 15.75 miles                                             Total distance: 245.5 miles
Max speed: 6.0 mph                                               Moving ave.: 3.8 mph
Kayak storage: Yakima rack                                    Host: Chris Percival

No comments:

Post a Comment