I am a grandmother paddling alone over 2,500 miles from Maine to Guatemala. Along the way I will be:
- telling the story of the children who live in the Guatemala City garbage dump community
- honoring their entrepreneurial mothers
- talking about the success of the Safe Passage model school and
- raising funds for additional grades for the school.

Monday, August 11, 2014

Paddle Day 17: Happy on the Ocean

Happy Deb back on the ocean!
Today was much better!  While I was out paddling on the ocean I was thinking there was nowhere that I'd rather be just then.
The day had started out great with a portage over to Gunrock Beach by van of my kayak and gear by Scott of Nantasket Kayaks.  When we arrived there were the Weymouth Rotarians and friends, as they had arranged a live radio interview for me.  While I waited by the phone for the interview, Scott and the Rotarians hauled my kayak and eight bags of gear down to the beach.  What a crew!  Scott topped it all off by handing me a check for Safe Passage!

Out on the water it was a great day.  Was it the ten hours of sleep last night?  Or was it the difference between the excitement of paddling in the ocean versus in the boredom of paddling in t
he protected Boston Harbor and Hingham Bay?    That reason would be worrying.  Why?  Because I am planning on doing miles and miles on the Intracoastal Waterway.  Will that be boring?   When I'm in dicey conditions on the ocean, I'm thinking about how happy I will be paddling once I reach the Intracoastal Waterway.  But when I'm in the ICW, I may be wishing I was back out in the ocean again!

Scituate Harbor entrance
Off to the Weymouth Rotary Club tonight with my wonderful hosts from the Scituate Rotary Club.  It will be fun to give another presentation!


Paddle Day: 17                                                      Date: August 11, 2014
Start: Hull                                                              End: Scituate
Distance: 10.28 miles                                            Total distance: 188.95
Max speed: 4.8 mph                                              Moving ave.: 3.4 mph
Kayak storage: Situate Harbor Yacht Club           Hosts: Janet Schmitz and Bart Nuboer

No comments:

Post a Comment