I am a grandmother paddling alone over 2,500 miles from Maine to Guatemala. Along the way I will be:
- telling the story of the children who live in the Guatemala City garbage dump community
- honoring their entrepreneurial mothers
- talking about the success of the Safe Passage model school and
- raising funds for additional grades for the school.

Friday, August 15, 2014

Paddle Day 19: Plymouth Landing

Mayflower and my kayak
"Where should I land in Plymouth", I asked.  "Plymouth Rock, of course," was the answer.
How symbolic!  The Pilgrims had a great sea adventure, and then a greater adventure on land.
Plymouth Rock is imprisoned!
Before leaving Duxbury, I asked my husband for the names of his two ancestors that came over on the Mayflower.   I didn't know much about them, but a few minutes on Google revealed their story.  John Alden and Priscilla Mullins were involved in a love triangle with Captain Myles Standish, the English military officer hired by the pilgrims to lead their defense.  You can read more in "The Courtship of Miles Standish" written by another of my husbands ancestors, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow.  Turns out that John and Priscilla had the most descendants of anyone from the Mayflower.  I took a moment to visit the John Alden house in Duxbury on the way to the kayak launch site.

John Alden house in Duxbury (why not the John and Priscilla Alden house?)
The Duxbury Rotarians saw me off in style!  They had been amazed at how much stuff came out of my kayak when I landed, and how long it took to unpack.  So Linda suggested thta instead of me packing and unpacking, she drive my stuff to Plymouth for me.  Thanks Linda!!
Doug, Deb, Cheryl and Steve (Linda taking the photo)
The paddle across Duxbury Bay to Plymouth was entertaining.  The bay is full of sand bars, and since the wind from the passing storm had not died out completely, it made for lots of wind driven waves breaking all across the bay.  It was an interesting challenge trying to find the small channels between the sandbars.  My wrist, arm and shoulder were not very happy to be paddling again, but more on that later.

Local Wicked reporter, Plymouth Yacht Club Dockmaster and Nancy
Frank, a reporter,  and Nancy, an avid kayaker and artist, were on hand when I landed at the Plymouth Yacht Club, where the dockmaster had arranged great overnight accommodation for the kayak.
One of Nancy's scultures

Spent a great afternoon with Nancy, enjoying her art and activism.  The evening was rounded off by a very pleasant garden dinner with my hosts Peter and Noreen Neville, a few friends, neighbors and Rotarians.
Noreen, Deb and Peter


Paddle Day: 19                                                      Date: August 14, 2014

Start: Duxbury                                                       End: Plymouth
Distance: 5.79 miles                                              Total distance: 205.64
Max speed: 5.3 mph                                               Moving ave.: 3.0 mph
Kayak storage: Plymouth Yacht Club                        Hosts: Nancy Carroll, Peter and Noreen Neville

No comments:

Post a Comment