I am a grandmother paddling alone over 2,500 miles from Maine to Guatemala. Along the way I will be:
- telling the story of the children who live in the Guatemala City garbage dump community
- honoring their entrepreneurial mothers
- talking about the success of the Safe Passage model school and
- raising funds for additional grades for the school.

Sunday, August 17, 2014

Paddle Day 20: Calm to Rough

Calm in the Wareham bay
I started paddling early today since the forecast was for high winds in the afternoon.  And it was almost glassy calm at first.

But by the time I rounded the last point, there was the full fetch of Buzzard's Bay generating annoying short wavelength waves.  Of course I never seem to have my camera on when things are dicey.  By the time I turn it on, I'm in a calmer section.
Rounding the last point into Marian

It was a short paddle, but I was very glad to arrive.  Even for a short paddle my injured right shoulder/arm/wrist was ready to stop.  Tomorrow will be the moment of truth with a longer paddle - about 7 hours.  If my body holds up for that, all is well.  If not, yipes!!
Arriving in Marian

Craig, Deb and Annie


Lovely tour of Marian with my hosts Craig Nolan and Annie.  Great sailing and vacation community with many stories of old families.

Paddle Day: 20                                                      Date: August 17, 2014
Start: Wareham                                                     End: Marian
Distance: 8.91 miles                                              Total distance: 229.55 miles
Max speed: 5.0 mph                                               Moving ave.: 3.2 mph
Kayak storage: beach                                             Hosts: Craig Nolan and Annie

No comments:

Post a Comment