I am a grandmother paddling alone over 2,500 miles from Maine to Guatemala. Along the way I will be:
- telling the story of the children who live in the Guatemala City garbage dump community
- honoring their entrepreneurial mothers
- talking about the success of the Safe Passage model school and
- raising funds for additional grades for the school.

Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Paddle Day 15: Boston - End of first leg!

Chatting with other kayakers.
Made it to Boston!  End of the first leg.



Calm day.  Meet a couple out on the water who had just moved to Boston, and before unpacking they purchased a kayak and were out on the water for it's maiden voyage.  They have their priorities right!

Overcast as heading out to the tip of Nahant
Some folks were concerned about me crossing the big shipping channel in Boston, so I opted to land at Winthrop Public Landing.  It meant I had to skirt the shipping channel, but there was no traffic at all.  On the sea, that is.  I was right next to Logan Airport, so the skies were full of jets landing and taking off - right over my head.
Clear as I approached Winthrop Head

I did it!  Leg one finished! (as plane lands overhead)
It was great seeing my husband waiting for me on the beach, and then an interview with NECN.

Off the water in Boston.
I have paddled my heart out for 168 miles, crossed two state borders, and I'm still in Red Sox territory.  I recall my inspiration of the Safe Passage families and children in Guatemala.  This is going to take persistence!

Paddle Day: 15                                        Date: August 4, 2014
Start: Swampscott                                    End: Winthrop
Distance: 13.2 miles                                Total distance: 167.57
Max speed: 5 mph                                   Moving ave.: 3.4 mph
Kayak storage: Yakima roof racks          Hosts: Rich and Jane Howe

2 comments:

  1. Yay! Congratulations and welcome to Boston!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so proud of you, Deb!!! What an accomplishment! Kathy :o)

    ReplyDelete