I am a grandmother paddling alone over 2,500 miles from Maine to Guatemala. Along the way I will be:
- telling the story of the children who live in the Guatemala City garbage dump community
- honoring their entrepreneurial mothers
- talking about the success of the Safe Passage model school and
- raising funds for additional grades for the school.

Sunday, August 10, 2014

Paddle Day 16: Easy, Exhausted and Hope

Saying "good-bye" to Chris for 10 weeks
Today I left Boston after not paddling for five days.
Said my farewells to my husband who I will not see for the next 10 weeks.  Joined a group of great AMC paddlers as we headed out to Hull.

AMC leader Dennis and the Boston skyline

So much fun to talk with paddlers.
Hope was my major inspiration today.  Sixteen years my elder and it was hard to keep up with her!
The AMC folks headed to the northern end of Hull to circle back to Boston, and I headed to the southern end.

For some reason, after I left them it was emotionally the hardest paddle day.  I had this odd feeing in the pit of my stomach.  Maybe it was because the paddling was so easy and thus did not capture all (or any?) of my attention.  Maybe it was having had such a great six days with my husband and then leaving him behind.  Maybe it was because it was the first day that my body was not feeling up to the task, with a wrist/elbow problem.  Maybe because I am exhausted from the five presentations and two interviews in the last five days.  Maybe it was thinking of the eulogies I had just read from my friend Jay's memorial service the day before?  Maybe it was thinking of my hosts in Boston and their tough day today.

But I was buoyed up by the site of a welcome committee at the dock.  Rotarian Helen and Interacters, and the great folks at Nantasket Kayaks that are not only storing my kayak, but portaging me over to the Atlantic tomorrow!  And I was amazed by the dock.  A guy just reach down and grabbed my bow and pulled all 385# up onto the angled floating dock.  Easiest ever landing!

Pulled up onto the carpeted dock!
Patito Amistoso meets the Interacters
Then a great evening with Weymouth Rotarians!
Fun with great Safe Passage supporters!
They are arranging a chiropractor visit for me, and entertained me with great conversation and food.  

Now an early night to get myself ready for more paddling.  And remember the inspiration of Hope!

Paddle Day: 16                                        Date: August 10, 2014
Start: Boston                                            End: Hull
Distance: 11.1 miles                                Total distance: 178.67
Max speed: 5.4 mph                                Moving ave.: 3.2 mph
Kayak storage: Nantasket Kayaks           Hosts: Helen Blowers

No comments:

Post a Comment