I am a grandmother paddling alone over 2,500 miles from Maine to Guatemala. Along the way I will be:
- telling the story of the children who live in the Guatemala City garbage dump community
- honoring their entrepreneurial mothers
- talking about the success of the Safe Passage model school and
- raising funds for additional grades for the school.

Friday, August 1, 2014

Adventures of Patito Amistoso: Chapter Two

Dear Children at Safe Passage and around the world,

Remember the fairy nest that appeared for me when I was camping with Deb on Trott Island?  Well, the next morning it had magically grown.  See if you can find the new things.  There was a little house for my new neighbor.  And see the table?  There was a new chair, and now two dishes, so we can eat together.  There was a flower.  And my favorite part was the "Welcome" written out in seaweed.  I do feel very welcome here!  There was a little girl on the beach playing with the fairy house, and she was very nice!

My fairy nest grew!

I'm meeting new friends every day.  Remember how frightened I was about getting into the Wells Harbor?  The waves were not too big, so it was okay (I guess).  But in Wells I meet two new friends.
Me and two new friends in Wells
These American duckies are BIG!

Nonconformist duckie
Then on Cape Neddick I met a whole flock of duckies.  They were so organized and all lined up, swimming in formation.  I know I could never be that organized!  My favorite friend in the flock was the one swimming backwards.

It is getting to be a bit more fun when Deb and I are on the kayak, as I am getting used to the waves.  Now I often peak out from my pocket in Deb's life vest.  Can you find me in this picture?  You'll have to look very carefully.
Deb pulling out some tea to drink
Did you find me?  Did you ask what Deb is doing here?  She was pulling out a strange chia tea drink she makes everyday.  It is tea and milk and sugar and spices.  Deb says I am too young to drink tea so none for me.  I just nibble some seaweed to keep my energy levels up.

We have made it through two states: Maine and New Hampshire.  We are almost to Boston, the end of the first leg of our adventure.  Deb tells me there is a "Duck Boat" in Boston.  I wonder what that is?  I will soon find out.

Thanks for reading this chapter about my adventures.  More later..

Your friendly duckie,
Patito Amistoso




No comments:

Post a Comment