I am a grandmother paddling alone over 2,500 miles from Maine to Guatemala. Along the way I will be:
- telling the story of the children who live in the Guatemala City garbage dump community
- honoring their entrepreneurial mothers
- talking about the success of the Safe Passage model school and
- raising funds for additional grades for the school.

Thursday, July 31, 2014

Paddle Day 13: Almost made a big mistake, then great fun in Marblehead

Early morning departure from Gloucester, trying to get to Marblehead in time to speak at the Boston Yacht Club with the Marblehead Rotarians.  In approaching House Island, I thought it would be fun to weave between the islands, and then head over to Marblehead.  There were swells rolling right towards the islands.  Now you could see House Island...

House Island ahead
...now you couldn't.
Where did House Island go?
I thought I would just ride the swells right between the islands.  Fortunately, before it was too late to turn around I noticed a lobster boat coming from the other direction.  It was going up and down over enormous swells.  I realized immediately that the waves being forced between the islands where growing to the point where I would not have been comfortable, so I made a sudden turn to pass in front of House.  Thank you lobster boat for the reminder.  I should have realized that would happen.

Pulling out chia tea from below my spray skirt.
When the swells calmed down after two hours, I was ready for more calories,  and pulled out a bottle of the chia tea I had mixed up.  A reporter in Gloucester said I should put the recipe on my blog, so here goes:
3 c vanilla soy milk powder
1.5 c powdered sugar
1 c Nestle Quick
3/4 c instant black tea
2 T ground ginger
2 T cinnamon
1/2 t ground cloves
5 T vanilla creamer

That enough to mix with 48 c water.  It's got the calories and the protein I need when paddling.  That and weak gaiter-aid keep me going for 5 or 6 hours.

Marblehead's wall to-wall boats
When I was approaching the Marblehead Harbor, it looked like a solid mass of boats.  I was reminded of the colonial era stories of so many cod in the waters that you could walk across on their backs.  In this case I wondered if I could paddle through.

On the launch from the Eastern Yacht Club to the Boston Yacht Club
A friend had arranged for my kayak to stay at the Eastern Yacht Club, where they were most helpful as I unloaded it and hauled it onto the dock.  As we needed to get across the harbor to the Boston yacht Club for the Rotary meeting, we took a launch across.  The Marblehead Rotarians are hosting me in style.  They had great questions about the children in the garbage dump and about the expedition.  It is fun to inspire others to get involved with this project.

President Tanya and Deb after lunch at The Landing
The evening rain stopped on my second evening in time for a lovely garden party given by the Marblehead Rotarians.  Highlights were a lovely floral arrangement, being serenaded with a Gershwin song, appropriate concerns about the crossing from Florida to Belize, a reporter with insightful questions, great food and stimulating conversation.  Thank you Marblehead Rotarians!

Paddle Day: 13                                   Date: July 31, 2014
Start: Gloucester                                 End: Marblehead
Distance: 12.6 miles                           Total distance: 147.44
Max speed: 5.2 mph                           Moving ave.: 3.4 mph
Kayak storage: Eastern Yacht Club   Hosts: Marblehead Rotary Club

No comments:

Post a Comment