I am a grandmother paddling alone over 2,500 miles from Maine to Guatemala. Along the way I will be:
- telling the story of the children who live in the Guatemala City garbage dump community
- honoring their entrepreneurial mothers
- talking about the success of the Safe Passage model school and
- raising funds for additional grades for the school.

Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Will it all fit in the kayak?

Seven bags of gear fill our car.
Fold down the seats in the Jetta Sportswagon.  Fill car with seven bags of gear.  Since it fills the car, wonder how it will ever fit in the kayak.
 Notice the blue bags?  They are the world wide standard for kayak camping: IKEA bags.

Seven bags of gear beside the kayak.
Seven bags of gear lined up beside the kayak:  1) Tent, sleeping bags, pad  2) Food and kitchen
3) Day hatch  4) Paddle clothing to wear and deck items  5) Paddle clothing and water containers to store in cockpit   6) Technology, repair, first aid  7) Clothing for land.

Fortunately, or unfortunately, it all fits in the kayak with room to spare.  Unfortunately because I would like to use the volume excuse to lighten my load.  Now I must use the weight excuse.  After my first fully loaded paddle, with moderate headwinds, I went home and removed 25 pounds of gear from my list for the expedition. 

Now if I loose 25 pounds of body weight, the total weight in the kayak should be about right.  Maybe after a month or two of paddling?

No comments:

Post a Comment