I am a grandmother paddling alone over 2,500 miles from Maine to Guatemala. Along the way I will be:
- telling the story of the children who live in the Guatemala City garbage dump community
- honoring their entrepreneurial mothers
- talking about the success of the Safe Passage model school and
- raising funds for additional grades for the school.

Saturday, July 19, 2014

Adventures of Patito Amistoso: Chapter 1

Dear children at Safe Passage and children around the world,

Patito Amistoso and his "Fairy Next"
Boy am I having an adventure!
I'm paddling with Deb Walters as she kayaks from Maine to Guatemala.  I'm from Guatemala, and friends with the children at Safe Passage.  They were the ones who suggested I join Deb on this adventure, and sent me up to Maine to join her.

I'm not too sure about this kayaking thing.  Every time I hear the surf, I close my eyes and duck down deep into the pocket on Deb's life jacket.  There I feel very safe.

Today I'm enjoying camping with Deb on a little island.  The children here in Maine told me about the "Fairy Houses" that I can see along the coast in Maine.  They say they are built by "fairies" and magically appear.  I'm not too sure about this either.  But I was thrilled to see my own little "Fairy Nest" this morning, made out of colorful seaweed.  It's a great tiny home, complete with a rock pathway, a table, chair and even a little sea shell bowl for my breakfast!  I am one happy duckie!

Finally get to swim - in a tide pool!

Because I don't like the waves and the surf, I haven't been paddling much yet.   So I was very happy today to swim around in a quiet little tide pool.  When the tide goes out, there are tide pools that hold some sea water until they are filled up by the next incoming tide.  Lots of little animals and plants live in the tide pools.  Today I meet some snails and we saw lots of seaweed.

My two new friends!

Yesterday I met my first American rubber ducky.  She even knows Spanish!  I am enjoying all of the children I am meeting in Maine.  I hope they will all come to see me in Guatemala when I get back home.

Tomorrow we are heading for Wells, Maine.  I am shaking a little already, as they say a big sandbar has formed in front of the harbor entrance, and there will be lots of breaking waves and surf there.  Yikes!  Maybe I can talk Deb into landing somewhere else.  But I was glad to hear that the Harbormaster will be out there when Deb arrives, just in case she needs some help getting into the harbor.  You know where I'll be,  deep down in her life jacket pocket!

I have to go have lunch now, but I'll tell you more about our amazing adventures another day.

Your Friendly Duckling,
Patito Amistoso

No comments:

Post a Comment