I am a grandmother paddling alone over 2,500 miles from Maine to Guatemala. Along the way I will be:
- telling the story of the children who live in the Guatemala City garbage dump community
- honoring their entrepreneurial mothers
- talking about the success of the Safe Passage model school and
- raising funds for additional grades for the school.

Saturday, July 26, 2014

Paddle Day 10: Zen talk, Cheering boats, and Caught like a fish

Selfie with Rob, who joined me for a few hours
Great sendoff from New Castle Island, with Jewish and Muslim Israeli youth singing for me on the beach!  
Rob joined me for part of the morning.  We had great conversations of many things Zen like.  I was so inspired how his daughter, Sierra, had what the doctors called a miraculous recovery from leukemia.  Every day during her treatment she had visualized doing her new ballet routine, and a few weeks after chemo she performed the routine on stage.  What an amazing young woman!

As I paddled past Rye Harbor, a tourist boat came out, and some folks recognized me from the papers or TV and shouted "Go, Deb, Go!"

Hampton Rotarians welcoming me!

Closer to my destination of Hampton Harbor, I was welcomed by my Rotarian hosts!  I was ready to stop and relax at that point, but it was a further slog to the jetty into Hampton Harbor.

Jetty at Hampton Harbor
Once inside, I had to fight the rapidly outflowing tide.  I stayed close to the jetty in the slowest current, until...

Caught by a fisherman.
I was suddenly pulled up short.  Caught by a fisherman.  Some fancy maneuvering released the line.
It was a further, painfully slow, and very tough paddle to get over a mile upstream to my host's house.  But the warm welcome made it totally worthwhile!

Paddle Day: 10                                                   Date: July 25, 2014
Start: Portsmouth                                                End: Hampton Harbor
Distance: 15.9 miles                                           Total distance: 105.34
Max speed: 5.2 mph                                           Moving ave.: 3.1 mph
Kayak storage: Hampton Rotary Club               Hosts: Hampton and Essex Rotary Clubs

No comments:

Post a Comment