I am a grandmother paddling alone over 2,500 miles from Maine to Guatemala. Along the way I will be:
- telling the story of the children who live in the Guatemala City garbage dump community
- honoring their entrepreneurial mothers
- talking about the success of the Safe Passage model school and
- raising funds for additional grades for the school.

Sunday, July 13, 2014

Paddle Day 2: High Winds Launch

Paddle Arch by friends and supporters as I launched from Portland  (Photo by Doreen Berry) 
I was a little sad this morning as I prepared to launch.
I was thinking about having to say good-bye to my husband.  After all it is our wedding anniversary today!   How wrong is it to leave your husband for a year on your wedding anniversary!

Deb promising husband Chris to return in a year and spend the entire day with him on their 30th wedding anniversary
Thinking about launching during a small craft advisory did not give me any extra comfort, even though I was launching in a protected spot.

Took me two hours to pack the kayak, as I kept being interrupted by reporters interviewing me.  That's fine, as I want the story to get out.  The coverage has been great.  I was contacted today by people from Canada, Finland and Australia who had seen a piece about me in their local news and were wishing me well.

Eight other kayaks launched with me, but once we rounded the corner and hit the head winds of the small craft advisory, four turned back.  It was just me and my four long time kayaking buddies that kept going.  A little bumpy and a stiff head wind, but no big deal.  Paddling the 385 pounds of the fully loaded kayak into a stiff head wind made me feel like I was working, even though we only went
1.23 miles today!  Spent more time packing and unpacking the kayak today than on the water!

Had a wonderful evening being hosted by Dan and Shirley Mooers.  They invited about 30 folks to hear me speak about Safe Passage and the kayak expedition.  Many thanks to all of those who donated generously!

Dan and Shirley Mooers

Need to refine my packing system.  I couldn't find my pill box, and had to resort to looking on my computer at my packing list.  I found where I had stored my 4 week supply of pills, but not the weekly pill box.  Aha!  That meant I had forgotten to pack it.  Fortunately my husband, who was planning to return home right after the launch, was worried enough about the winds, that he drove over to South Portland to meet me as I took out.   He had joined us for dinner, and I was able to retrieve the pill box from our car.  I wonder what else I have forgotten?


Paddle Day: 2                                                     Date: July 13, 2014
Start: Portland                                                     End: South Portland
Distance: 1.23 miles                                           Total distance: 13.13
Max speed: ? mph                                              Moving ave.: ? mph
Kayak storage:  Cape Elizabeth Rotary Club     Hosts: Cape Elizabeth Rotary Club

No comments:

Post a Comment