I am a grandmother paddling alone over 2,500 miles from Maine to Guatemala. Along the way I will be:
- telling the story of the children who live in the Guatemala City garbage dump community
- honoring their entrepreneurial mothers
- talking about the success of the Safe Passage model school and
- raising funds for additional grades for the school.

Sunday, July 27, 2014

Paddle Day 11: Playing with navigation, Dancing with currents, and Relaxing at the yacht club

Hampton Harbor lobster boat
Storm in the forecast, so paddled on a scheduled rest day to be able to sit out the storm.
Left Hampton Harbor shortly after sunrise, launched by Rotarians who sacrificed by getting up early on a weekend.  This is clearly NOT a solo expedition, but a project with hundreds of kind hearted people joining in to make it a success.
With the President Larry of the Hampton Rotary Club and President Leigh of the Exeter Rotary Club
I'm trying not wearing my neoprene top, to see if I can control my rash.  At a Rotary gathering in Hampton, I asked the guy next to me about the rash.  He's a successful entrepreneur and he immediately told me it was contact dermatitis.  Then I met a veterinarian, who said he treats hundreds of kinds of animals, but not humans.  After a little hemming and hawing, he said it was contact dermatitis.  Then the MD arrived, and I asked him.  This conversation took three times as long with the conclusion it was probably contact dermatitis.  My conclusion - for a rapid and confident response, you can't beat an entrepreneur.

Along Plum Island
I enjoyed playing with navigation as I paddled along the featureless shore of the wildlife refuge of Plum Island.  It was hard to tell where I was exactly along this six mile stretch, so I amused myself by taking compass bearings on the water tower on Great Neck, subtracting the compass declination, placing my circular protractor on the chart, centered over the water tower, and using the string I've attached to the protractor center to show that I must be somewhere along that line.  Since I know about how far off shore I am, I can then pinpoint my location.  A quick check with the GPS let's me know I'm right.  What fun.  (Okay, I'm easily entertained.)

The point entering Plum Island Sound
After a placid day of constant paddling against a light current and moderate winds, there was a little excitement dancing with the current pouring into Plum Island Sound, as it went over the sandbar.
Approaching the Ipswich Bay Yacht Club
The flood tide brought my speed up to 6.7 mph as I approached the Ipswich Bay Yacht Club, where they generously stored my kayak for a few days.

Porch of the IBYC was perfect place to relax after a shower
The IBYC staff hauled my boat and gear, and told me where to get a shower.  I enjoyed relaxing on their porch, working on the route for future legs, and collecting cash from members who stopped by to hear the story of the the expedition and the children of the dump.

Penny and Brad Jett, hosts extraordinariae
My amazing hosts in Hampton (PDG Brad and Penny), then drove almost 2 hours to pick me up and take me back to their house for the evening, since my hosts in Ipswich were not able to take me in a day early.  What generosity!  Not only that, but they are now helping to find hosts for me all along the Eastern seaboard!

Paddle Day: 11                                                   Date: July 26, 2014
Start: Hampton Harbor                                       End: Ipswich
Distance: 17.3 miles                                           Total distance: 122.64
Max speed: 6.7 mph                                           Moving ave.: 3.4 mph
Kayak storage: Ipswich Bay Yacht Club           Hosts: Hampton and Ipswich Rotary Clubs



1 comment:

  1. Hi, Deb,

    Looking great!

    I've sent you email about the possibilities for your overnight stay on Wednesday, September 17, near Throgs Neck, NY. Let me know what you think when you get a chance, or how else to contact you more conveniently while you are on the high seas!

    ReplyDelete