I am a grandmother paddling alone over 2,500 miles from Maine to Guatemala. Along the way I will be:
- telling the story of the children who live in the Guatemala City garbage dump community
- honoring their entrepreneurial mothers
- talking about the success of the Safe Passage model school and
- raising funds for additional grades for the school.

Wednesday, July 9, 2014

The kindness of strangers!

New friend I meet in Boothbay, Maine.
One of the things I am looking forward to on the Kayak For Safe Passage Kids expedition is making new friends along the way.  I am so humbled by the kindness of strangers when I talk with them about why I am kayaking from Maine to Guatemala.  One woman in Boothbay was kayaking while I was training.

After we talked, she took her bracelet off of her wrist and put it on mine.
She explained how these evil eye beads have been used for centuries by people from every major religion, as a way of wishing people safety and protection.  What a nice thought to know that strangers are making such gestures to make my expedition safe.  Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment