I am a grandmother paddling alone over 2,500 miles from Maine to Guatemala. Along the way I will be:
- telling the story of the children who live in the Guatemala City garbage dump community
- honoring their entrepreneurial mothers
- talking about the success of the Safe Passage model school and
- raising funds for additional grades for the school.

Tuesday, July 8, 2014

How to get the heavy kayak on and off the car

Expedition kayak on the Yakima rack on my car.
Now that I am about to start my kayak expedition, I'll be leaving behind my car and the challenge of getting the 75# kayak onto and off of the car by myself.  Fortunately, that task was made possible by this great system from Yakima.  I just undo the straps...
Pull out the handy dandy Boatloader that makes the solo loading and unloading possible...


Lift the bow off of the Evenkeel saddles...


Rotate kayak over to the Boatloader...

Rotate the stern...


down to the ground...

Lift the bow...

Rotate to the ground...

And I am done!

It's all about levers and fulcrums making it possible for a 63 year old weakling to move the kayak!  Glad I was a Physics major.   To see me load the kayak alone,  just look at the pictures in reverse!

Thank you, Yakima, for making this part of the expedition much easier.  Now if you would just send me that little Yakima solar kayak motor I'll be all set.




No comments:

Post a Comment