I am a grandmother paddling alone over 2,500 miles from Maine to Guatemala. Along the way I will be:
- telling the story of the children who live in the Guatemala City garbage dump community
- honoring their entrepreneurial mothers
- talking about the success of the Safe Passage model school and
- raising funds for additional grades for the school.

Saturday, July 19, 2014

Paddle Day 6: First fully loaded solo, First camp

Kayak resting at Trott Island
Lovely campsite on Trott Island.  Hard work getting here.

I knew I shouldn't cut in behind an island at a point, as there are not charts for this area that show enough detail to know for sure I could get through at the bottom.  But I couldn't talk myself out of it.  Sure enough, not a good passage.  I had to time the breaking surf to get through.  I'm not going to do that again!

Later, I was taking a path outside if an island, trying to avoid more surf, when my path was blocked by  a lobster boat that had zipped up and stopped to haul a trap.  I had to make a mad dash to his starboard, so he could see me before he started up again, so that he wouldn't accidentally run me over.
As a kayaker it's my duty to stay out of the way of the working lobstermen.  They are out working, and I am in their waters.  I called over to him and he looked up and smiled.  "Aren't you that famous woman paddling to Guatemala I saw on TV?"

Then came a tiring slog across a bay, with swell energy pushing me in towards the breakers and current going against me.  Why didn't I plan to paddle from Guatemala to Maine and have the current with me?

Drying gear on Trott Island
Lovely campsite with great rocks from drying my Snapdragon sprayskirt, and my NRS hydroskins and PFD.  A few days ago a paddler told me it's not a PFD, it's a BRD - a body recovery device.

Beach peas for dinner!
Soup for dinner with the lovely addition of beach peas.  Yum!  But not quite the lobster thermidor rolls from my wonderful hosts last night!

Visited on Trott Island by Bob Haskell, one of the Kennebunk Land Trust Stewards


Paddle Day: 6                                                     Date: July 18, 2014
Start: Saco                                                          End: Trott Island
Distance: 15.4 miles                                           Total distance: 56
Max speed: 5.4 mph                                           Moving ave.: 3.5 mph
Kayak storage:  Kennebunk Land Trust             Hosts: Kennebunk Land Trust

No comments:

Post a Comment